I ordered geese...need help

That would be a good idea. 👍
I second the additional female(s). I have a pair that is isolated in their own pen and they mate all the time… the female has a bald head from all the goose lovin’ 😯 if there was more females maybe some of her feathers could grow back 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have read the following article https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/

And I had read something similar before placing my order I didn't expect them to give their lives for my ducks or chickens I mainly wanted the alerts they tend to give off when something is near or something is not right...I am a stay at home mom of 3 boys but I'm not always outside to keep an eye and where I live the only real threat to my chickens and ducks r
red tail hawks..
Owls
Weasels

I coyote hunt every chance I get to keep the coyotes away and dogs can really get to where my flocks r during the day due to 7 acres of land fenced in by electric poultry netting its mainly the sky I am worried about and the occasional weasel

I oredered 2 gosling from meyer hatchery one is a female white chinese and the other is a male super african gosling...I ordered them bc a red tail hawk has come in and mass murdered alot of my chickens and ducks the last few months and I keep getting told geese r the way to go for flock protection..,I've never raised geese before so I need some pointers..and some general info on geese the ones I ordered r due to hatch Monday may 8th...so by the 11th I should have them if not sooner....

Will they really protect my chickens and ducks?

Will they automatically b9nd with one another bc they will be the only 2 geese on the farm?

When will they begin laying ?

R they good for going broody?

Will they try to eat my chickens or breed my ducks bc I don't want that lol?

How long do ghey need heat lamps?

I know they need niacin same as my ducklings did but how much more than r he ducks?

How fast will they grow?

How will I know if the 2 geese r bonded?

Do domestic geese fly?

And any more facts or advice u can share with me or personal experiences u have had with geese for flock protection ur willing to share with me please all is welcome.

ALSO I WILL NOT BE HOUSING AL OF THEM TOGETHER AT NIGHT..THEY WILL HAVE SEPARATE PENS I LET MY FLOCKS FREERANGE DURING THE DAY AND LOCK THEM UP SEPERATELY AT NIGHT AND I WILL DO THE SAME WITH MY 2 GEESE! MY CHICKENS HAVE A COVERED PEN AND MY DUCKS HAVE THEIR OWN COVERED PEN AN I ALREADY GOT MY GEESE A COVERED PEN MADE FOR WHEN THEY R TAKEN FROM THE HEATLAMPS
Hello, I have ducks, guinea hens and African grays a couple months ago. I bought four more African grays babies because one of my dogs killed my female goose, and I only have one mail after that so I didn’t want him to be lonely. That’s why I got the other five he has bonded to them fantastically and takes him everywhere on the property. They have also bonded very well with the ducks and sit in the shade under the trees in the yard all day long at night I put them away in separate cages, but sometimes they all go in the same cage, so I let them be because they get along quite well. They do grow very quickly and I didn’t use any heat lamps whatsoever because it was very hot where I live after two weeks I put him in with the gander, and he took care of them quite well and they do let you know when there’s any intruders whatsoever. Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom