finicky eaters not eating laying pellets

socalifgal

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 20, 2015
What's a mother to do? I have 5 chickens 3 of them I know have been laying for the last week. Most of the eggs have had soft shells. I realize that they are lacking calcium. I offer oyster shells and they don't touch it I had purchases a 50lb bag of organic pellets which all three of them just turn there beaks and walk away. I also have 2 younger pullets that have been on organic grower since the age of 8 weeks. I have tried protein such as BOSS (which I purchased a 3lb bag), canned chicken, cheese, vegetables, watermelon, grapes cold milk.... and the list goes on. The bummer is that I have 2 set of birds that require different feeds. Should I start with the acv and adding it to the water? Any suggestions on what I could do with the pellets, other give them to a friend who has chickens? I would appreciate any advise!!! Could someone please help this city girl out?

What's a mother to do? I have 5 chickens 3 of them I know have been laying for the last week. Most of the eggs have had soft shells. I realize that they are lacking calcium. I offer oyster shells and they don't touch it I had purchases a 50lb bag of organic pellets which all three of them just turn there beaks and walk away. I also have 2 younger pullets that have been on organic grower since the age of 8 weeks. I have tried protein such as BOSS (which I purchased a 3lb bag), canned chicken, cheese, vegetables, watermelon, grapes cold milk.... and the list goes on. The bummer is that I have 2 set of birds that require different feeds. Should I start with the acv and adding it to the water? Any suggestions on what I could do with the pellets, other give them to a friend who has chickens? I would appreciate any advise!!! Could someone please help this city girl out?

The problem is that you are offering all these additional feeds - cut the extras, offer only the pellets and, when they are hungry, they will eat it.
ETA - the soft shells in the first week of laying are not necessarily related to calcium, but rather nature of the first eggs produce and the systems not all being synced up to produce a good, hard shelled egg just yet.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your quick response! I believe you're so... right. What about my other small pullets? I have read information about the laying pellets, not being recommended for younger pullets. I still have grower feeder left and didn't want to use the pellets because of the small birds. I will stop them with the treats, an offer feed and water only. But how do I do that with the 2 small birds? How can I incorporate calcium into their diet while I'm feeding the two younger birds? Will they ever like oyster shells? Do I need to get the oyster shells to my friend? I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure all this out!!!

12 weeks! I went to the feed store by my house and the man told me that the older chickens (21 weeks) need to be separated and on the laying pellets. I now know that but I have 1 coop and a very small yard. I could possibly separate the coop, it's 2 stories.

12 weeks! I went to the feed store by my house and the man told me that the older chickens (21 weeks) need to be separated and on the laying pellets. I now know that but I have 1 coop and a very small yard. I could possibly separate the coop, it's 2 stories.

Want a much simpler solution? Feed your entire flock, including those now laying, a grower ration and continue making the oyster shell available (when they need it they will take it - it is consumed at a rate such that we often perceive zero intake). The younger birds are too young to receive the high calcium content of layer ration. You don't *have* to feed layer feed even once all the birds are old enough- the nutritional needs can be met quite well with grower ration and the need for calcium can be met with supplementation with oyster shell.

Want a much simpler solution?  Feed your entire flock, including those now laying, a grower ration and continue making the oyster shell available (when they need it they will take it - it is consumed at a rate such that we often perceive zero intake).  The younger birds are too young to receive the high calcium content of layer ration.  You don't *have* to feed layer feed even once all the birds are old enough- the nutritional needs can be met quite well with grower ration and the need for calcium can be met with supplementation with oyster shell.

This exactly.

Ok, I will stop all treats at this point, continuing with grower ration and oyster shells.I going to stop concerning myself with this! As soon as the smaller pullets start to lay than is when I'll change their feed. Thanks a bunch!!!

Meanwhile, how do you consume the 50 lb of pellet feed? Try to heat up a bowl of watery oatmeal or some hot water and use it to soften the pellets, then offer it in a flat bowl once a day.

Continue to serve grower feed in crumble form until they are all ready for layer feed. Provide a supply of oyster shell and grits on the side.

I want to thank each and everyone that has responded to my question. I gave the mash this morning to the girls and ...THEY LOVED IT!!!! I had no problems with the smaller pullets, all three of them made sure they didn't touch it. They chased them away. It was a little more difficult keeping the dogs away. Well anyways my dogs have really enjoyed those eggs in the morning only due to the soft shells. I am looking forward to tasting those eggs. Is it normal at first, that they release the eggs on the perch? My hope is, as the shell hardens that they lay in the nesting boxes!!!

Back
Top Bottom