pullet or cockerel? 4 to 5 week old dutch booted bantams

BittyBantamMom6

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2015
Atoka TN
I am certain I have figured out the genders of 5 of my 6 babies but one has me stumped. Any ideas?
Here is also one of my pullets
And one I am certain is a cockerel

At 5 weeks I find it hard to see with most dutch bantam chicks what is a pullet and what a cockerel. At this point the lenght of the comb and the hight of the leggs are the first signs to distinguish Them.

I Can't say from these pictures. especially because they are (in my opinion ) no real dutch. In the Netherlands the dutch have no foot feathers. They have blue legs. Can these be mixtures of some kind?

At 5 weeks I find it hard to see with most dutch bantam chicks what is a pullet and what a cockerel. At this point the lenght of the comb and the hight of the leggs are the first signs to distinguish Them.

I Can't say from these pictures. especially because they are (in my opinion ) no real dutch. In the Netherlands the dutch have no foot feathers. They have blue legs. Can these be mixtures of some kind?

Well my birds are older now. And every dutch I've ever seen have the blue legs and heavily feathered feet. Even in my multiple chicken breed books. So I don't think that they are a mix. Here is an updated photo of my flock

The one poking his head and the one on the right look like cockerels to me. The brown one on the left is defenitly a hen If this is the same race. The red coloured combs vs barely a comb make the difference.

These are a few of my chicks about 5 weeks old.
Grotefoto-H34HEIAO.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom