Pet Peeves

You know that's a real thing, right? There are people that actually "worship" the flying spaghetti monster as a way to make fun of us Christians. Look it up, or not. I wouldn't blame you if you didn't
I would make one minor correction to that. Pastafariansim is not specifically aimed at Christianity. It's poking fun at intelligent design and originated as a protest of the effort to force intelligent design into school curriculum. It tends to indiscriminately poke fun at all religion these days, and the more extremist a sect gets, the more they seem to get upset about it.

I'm a confirmed agnostic. When people can't seem to grasp the difference between agnosticism and atheism, I just tell them I'm FSM to shut them up. Y'all are welcome to follow whichever God or Gods you want, just don't push them on me.

Perfectly okay as long as you include yourself.
I think his humor/ cynicism extends, or maybe even originates, primarily with himself tbh. I mean above all, he does not take himself seriously. Which makes it impossible (for me at least), ever to be mad at him.

the difference between agnosticism and atheism
Correct me if I'm wrong: atheism being the belief that there is no God, and agnosticism being the belief that we cannot know if there is a God or not. I believe that's the way my Dad explained it to me. He claimed to be an agnostic. Is that right?

Correct me if I'm wrong: atheism being the belief that there is no God, and agnosticism being the belief that we cannot know if there is a God or not. I believe that's the way my Dad explained it to me. He claimed to be an agnostic. Is that right?
This is pretty accurate. I am willing to be convinced of a higher power in the universe just as soon as that higher power shows up and presents their credentials in an indisputable way. So far, for me, that has not happened.

This is pretty accurate. I am willing to be convinced of a higher power in the universe just as soon as that higher power shows up and presents their credentials in an indisputable way. So far, for me, that has not happened.
Just a simple question, no desire to argue or change your mind, truly. Do you believe that your children are miracles that only God can create? Honestly, don't answer if you don't feel comfortable talking about it, I like you too much to argue with you. We all have our beliefs and own thoughts

Just a simple question, no desire to argue or change your mind, truly. Do you believe that your children are miracles that only God can create? Honestly, don't answer if you don't feel comfortable talking about it, I like you too much to argue with you. We all have our beliefs and own thoughts

I'm a scientist, Trip. I've been trained in critical thinking, and to look for logical solutions to unexplained mysteries. That tends to rub the religion out of you. I was raised United Methodist. I was taught in church to question faith and seek answers. Guess they taught me well?

No, I do not believe my children are miracles from God. They are the best thing I will ever do, but there was no divine component involved in how they came to be. I know, I was there. :p

There are absolutely things we cannot explain in the universe, or even fathom. I'm willing to accept that and learn about it, but it has no bearing on my everyday life or my thinking. I respect people's faith, and if it works for them to help them find some solace and comfort in an increasingly insane and confusing world, that's good enough for me. I'm still spiritual in my own way for sure, but probably far closer to pagan/shamanic style beliefs than to any organized religion.

I'm a scientist, Trip. I've been trained in critical thinking, and to look for logical solutions to unexplained mysteries. That tends to rub the religion out of you. I was raised United Methodist. I was taught in church to question faith and seek answers. Guess they taught me well?

No, I do not believe my children are miracles from God. They are the best thing I will ever do, but there was no divine component involved in how they came to be. I know, I was there. :p

There are absolutely things we cannot explain in the universe, or even fathom. I'm willing to accept that and learn about it, but it has no bearing on my everyday life or my thinking. I respect people's faith, and if it works for them to help them find some solace and comfort in an increasingly insane and confusing world, that's good enough for me. I'm still spiritual in my own way for sure, but probably far closer to pagan/shamanic style beliefs than to any organized religion.
Fair enough. To each their own

Back
Top Bottom