Help! I have a broody goose

Gooseluv

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
PEI Canada
I need some advice from some geese knowledgable friends out there. We have a pet goose, she turned one in April. She is a lone goose and a family pet. She has been laying eggs since March and maybe 2 weeks ago she has started to want to be In her coop all the time. She has made a nest and there are no eggs in it, she hasn't layed an egg since this behaviour has started.
I bring her out of the coop and she will get a drink and maybe have a little bit of food, she is not grazing and I have only seen her pass water, nothing fecal. She will stay out for about 30 min, then she starts running All over the property, she has no tolerance of the other
Poultry on the property, she is literally a "mad" goose.
Our neighbour came outside today and she flew over there in a rage. I am worried she hurt someone.
Is this just a temporary behavioural phase while her body ceases to lay eggs for the season? Will she go back to normal? Is there something I should be doing?
Please help!
Thank you :D

I don't personally have geese, but I hear they make wonderful mothers. Broody poultry are very stubborn and can be protective and aggressive.

I don't know how to break up a broody goose. If you don't want to do this you could try ordering some live eggs for her to hatch. However, she won't have a mate to hatch them with, as she naturally would in the wild. The males help care for the goslings. Geese mate for life.

Hope everything works out well. Best of luck!

When my goose goes broody, I give her some fake eggs to sit on. Last year I used two golf balls and some small marble eggs; this year I'd blown out some of her own eggs and filled them with an acrylic sealant. Both times she's accepted the "eggs"; sat on them and rolled them.

After she's been sitting for about a week, I wait for her to leave the nest for her daily bath and then remove the eggs from the nest. I take great care to not let her see me handling the eggs - I don't know if it's important, I just want to make sure she doesn't see me stealing them. When she returns to the nest, she spends 10-15 minutes looking for the eggs, and then she seems to accept they're gone. She'll then leave the nest and return to her normal behavior, except she'll be somewhat more clingy than usual.

I let her sit for a week to make sure the laying has stopped. But I don't want her to sit for much longer - it's hard on her, as she hardly eats anything while sitting.

Back
Top Bottom