chicken math has hit me!

KelsT

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
...I started my adventure as a chicken owner in march of 2015.
jumpy.gif

I had a plan to build a little coop 4x4 not including nest boxes, it was going to be so cute! I got 4 chicks all would be good layers and cold hardy so I got a Silver laced wyandotte, a danish leghorn, Plymouth Barred Rock and a Black Sexlink.

A few days later I realised I needed blue eggs as well and found a little easter egger to add to the mix.

So as I had those in the brooder I went to the task of making a home for the chickens and built my coop and run. I read on here that I really needed to build it larger then I planed on so I did. I actually thought the coop was HUGE 4x8 not including the nest boxes... Now it's June of 2015 my coop and run are 98% done (the 5 chickens are using it). I am happy with the way it turned out and amazed it took so long to do, and how big of a project it really was.

How is my coop already too small!
ep.gif

I just maxed it out and might be pushing my luck with it at 9 chickens!

First...I found a Splash Isbar and Wheaten Ameraucana that I had to have...

Then my husband needed a Polish and how could I not want a fluffy head! So I found a polish withing a reasonable distance, when I picked it up they had others so I needed 2 fluffy heads...now have 1 gold laced polish and one buff polish.

I keep finding more types of chickens that I want...I might just want one of everything
idunno.gif

LOL how do I keep it in control soon I will be looking at building another coop!
th.gif
and I haven't even got my first egg... LOL

Just for fun... here they all are in order of the post

Just stop. :D
Really, you can do it.

Let me help with a dose of reality.
How are you going to integrate those chicks with the older birds?

You might already need another coop/run (I applaud your use of the HC mesh that I can see),
because your older birds are NOT going to be happy about those little interlopers.
Then you will see the 'not so sweet and pretty' aspect of chicken behavior, when the older birds attack those cute little newbies.
There may be blood involved, there WILL be lots of screaming, squawking, running for their lives panic amongst the littlers.

It's best to split the coop(and the run) with a wire wall and have separate feed/water.roosts.
Do you have room for that?
Is your coop 4x8, or just the run under the coop?(can't really see in the pics).

What about winter, so you get snow?
Adding your location to your profile can help folks make better suggestions.
Chicken don't like snow much, and will stay in the coop fr day on end....do you have room for that?

All that sounds like scolding/tongue in cheek.....but it's true too.
I like chickens and want more than I have room for, but have already experienced what a pain in the butt it can be when you don't have enough room for them all.
It's hard and unhealthy for the chickens (which isn't cool IMO) and it's hard on the keeper to solve the problems while the animals suffer our lack of will power and good common sense.

It is helpful to me, to know that I am going to have chickens for years to come, and each year I can try something else if I want. My chickens generally live less than 4 years. I do cull roosters, so I can add, but you have to be able to subtract.

Of course, I need to admit, that I have 6 hens and a rooster in a coop that will hold 10-12 birds.... but I have a hen sitting on 13 eggs. Haha, it gets us all, but I know come November, 10-12 head is all that will fit.

I can do it, can you?

We do plan on culling (for dinner ones that don't lay as much.) I am getting a large dog kennel to put in the run to introduce the new ones to the older ones soon and plan on keeping them separated but around each other for around 3 weeks. ...Or longer if necessary. My aunt raises chickens and described how to do this. Hopefully it goes well. The full run is covered so its nice during the winter for them and we don't really get snow here mostly mild winters with a lot of rain hence the covered run. hopefully they can work out the pecking order with out too much fighting, though I know its part of the process. I know my cats hate a newbie and I avoid adding cats because i think i am as stressed as they are during the transition. I expect that I will be just as stressed during this transition. I will probably look into getting chicken wire to divide the run as the dog crate will only work for so long and it sounds like I might need to keep them separated longer then I planned on.

I keep finding more types of chickens that I want...I might just want one of everything
idunno.gif
Look up all the chicken types, ooh and aah over the breeds and assorted colours. Sooner or later there will come a point where you can't have one of everything.

Back
Top Bottom