How do I properly introduce my new chickens to my flock?

JulietsMomma

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have two separate runs and coops right now. One run has my polish grow outs in it and they’re around 3 months old. My other run has my adult hens that are around 8 months old (marans and legbars).

I want this pair in with my adult hens. I’ve been trying to slowly introduce them as of yesterday evening with no luck. The polish run has a rooster in it and he immediately just attacks the pullet and smaller roo.

These are bantams and I have some white crested black polish bantams in the polish run too. My problem is the rooster in that run so I want them in with the bigger hens.

How do I do this the right way? The bigger hens attack them even with me out there so I currently have them in a crate.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20230922_122656.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230922_122656.jpeg
    724.5 KB · Views: 65
Need more information. Numbers and ages of birds in each group. Number, breeds and ages of males in each group?
Sizes of runs in square footage and do they ever free range or are they always confined to the runs?

Generally speaking, it is easiest to introduce like numbers and like sizes.
The smaller the space they are required to be in together, the more difficult the task.
Free ranging together is always the smoothest transition.
Which group is pictured? Are those Sebright?

Need more information. Numbers and ages of birds in each group. Number, breeds and ages of males in each group?
Sizes of runs in square footage and do they ever free range or are they always confined to the runs?

Generally speaking, it is easiest to introduce like numbers and like sizes.
The smaller the space they are required to be in together, the more difficult the task.
Free ranging together is always the smoothest transition.
Which group is pictured? Are those Sebright?
There are 6 polish (1 white crested black bantam pullet, 2 candy corn pullets, 3 golden laced polish) that are 3 months old. One of those is a rooster. Could possibly be 2 other roosters that are golden laced as well but can’t tell yet. These are all together in one run.

There are seven 8 month old laying hens. 4 are marans and the other 3 are cream legbars. These are in one run. Not sure of the square footage but they’re absolutely huge. I could easily fit 15-20 more chickens in each run. I made sure to give them plenty of space when I had them done.

They free range in the afternoon until they go to roost at night typically (unless it’s raining).

The group pictured are 31 weeks old so almost the same age as the laying hens. The ones pictured are the new chickens. They are Mille fleur d’uccles.

My suggestion is to let all free range in the afternoon for a few days and let them put themselves to bed wherever they choose to sleep. Occasionally one or some may opt for a different coop at dusk though not frequently enough to count on it.
That time being able to interact yet get away from each other, in my experience, is the best way to go about it.
Chickens like to have friends, they just don't like strangers to be that close to them, Hence the attacks. They don't know each other or trust each other yet.
Interlopers are viewed as a threat to the security of the established flock. This attitude is ingrained in the DNA of chickens. What has created that trait is historically, new birds could compete for food, water, mates and even bring disease to an established flock. Their reaction therefor is to try driving the interlopers away.
Make sure there are extra food and water stations scattered about.

My suggestion is to let all free range in the afternoon for a few days and let them put themselves to bed wherever they choose to sleep. Occasionally one or some may opt for a different coop at dusk though not frequently enough to count on it.
That time being able to interact yet get away from each other, in my experience, is the best way to go about it.
Chickens like to have friends, they just don't like strangers to be that close to them, Hence the attacks. They don't know each other or trust each other yet.
Interlopers are viewed as a threat to the security of the established flock. This attitude is ingrained in the DNA of chickens. What has created that trait is historically, new birds could compete for food, water, mates and even bring disease to an established flock. Their reaction therefor is to try driving the interlopers away.
Make sure there are extra food and water stations scattered about.
Thanks! I have all sorts of feeders and waterers out so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I have two separate runs and coops right now. One run has my polish grow outs in it and they’re around 3 months old. My other run has my adult hens that are around 8 months old (marans and legbars).

I want this pair in with my adult hens. I’ve been trying to slowly introduce them as of yesterday evening with no luck. The polish run has a rooster in it and he immediately just attacks the pullet and smaller roo.

These are bantams and I have some white crested black polish bantams in the polish run too. My problem is the rooster in that run so I want them in with the bigger hens.

How do I do this the right way? The bigger hens attack them even with me out there so I currently have them in a crate.
It's too late to introduce at the "age point", these are not the babies of current hens so their considered invaders to flock. They'll have to be big enough to defend themselves more. I would take your lead hen put her in a see-thru cage and put that in with the young ones stall (24/7) for 30 days. Then open her cage and watch her in stall with young ones. They need to hear each other's communication sounds (husbandry has not occurred).

Being as you have two set ups and it is always difficult to introduce less to more, smaller to larger which I think is what your are trying to do.

Pick 1-2 middle of the flock birds, not the first ones to attack, but 3rd or 4th one, or does not attack at all. Put them in with the smaller birds, equal numbers tend to be more bluster, and usually settles pretty quick. Leave them together for several days.

Then add one or two more, but not the meanest ones, and not the rooster. Put them in the crate. At this time, I would move this group to the coop you want. Wait a couple of days, add a lot of clutter and hideouts to your run, and then add back the mean birds and say a prayer.

Thing is, sometimes you can't really get different birds to get along, OFTEN TIMES you can't get strange roosters to get along - they don't call it cock fighting for nothing.

This might work, but it might not.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom