Is it legal to keep a wild turkey in the flock if they joined in on her own?

think_fast_chicklenuts

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2024
I have a couple chickens in my backyard (loads more being raised right now) and a female wild turkey decided to lay her eggs in one of my bushes. She spends most of her time on her eggs, obviously, but she seems to enjoy the chickens' company, and she even crouched for the rooster, who then mated with her. She's very calm when I'm around her, and seems to like me a little. And yes, I'm sure she's a wild turkey. She can fly, and perches high up on a tree when something startles her.. I think the neighbors have been feeding her and spending time with her, and that's why she is calm. I just wanted to know if it's fine to just let her stay in my yard while she broods her eggs, and possibly after that.

I have a couple chickens in my backyard (loads more being raised right now) and a female wild turkey decided to lay her eggs in one of my bushes. She spends most of her time on her eggs, obviously, but she seems to enjoy the chickens' company, and she even crouched for the rooster, who then mated with her. She's very calm when I'm around her, and seems to like me a little. And yes, I'm sure she's a wild turkey. She can fly, and perches high up on a tree when something startles her.. I think the neighbors have been feeding her and spending time with her, and that's why she is calm. I just wanted to know if it's fine to just let her stay in my yard while she broods her eggs, and possibly after that.
As long as she is free to come and go on her own she is okay. Do not make any attempt to keep her or any offspring she may hatch. If she does hatch any of the eggs, do not try to make friends of the poults. They will have the best chance of surviving in the wild if you leave them completely alone.

I have a couple females, and a male that hang out with my flock all day when they’re free ranging. I think it’s fine to let them mingle, with the only concern being the increased risk of avian bird flu that wild birds are more prone too. If you don’t have a body of water with wild water birds/ducks that the wild turkey might get exposed to I think that decreases the risk.

Attachments

• IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 7
I have a couple females, and a male that hang out with my flock all day when they’re free ranging. I think it’s fine to let them mingle, with the only concern being the increased risk of avian bird flu that wild birds are more prone too. If you don’t have a body of water with wild water birds/ducks that the wild turkey might get exposed to I think that decreases the risk.
It depends which state you live in. At least one state prohibits free ranging domestic turkeys to prevent contamination of the wild flocks.

Where is this? I’m missing my female turkey in madiera park bc up menacher road lol

Back
Top Bottom