Turkey Cooped with Chickens?

chicknlover4

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2021
I have a Royal Palm turkey hen that just turned 12 years old, she has been with chickens her entire life, she’s in great health and probably has another few years of life in her (still lays too, i just let her keep them most of the time). She also had a sister her whole life but this last summer a dog got in the coop at night and for some reason chose her as the target. Because of her age, we do not want to get another turkey, we have 7 golden ameraucana hens and a roaster of the same variety. Ever since the attack, they all sleep in the tree right outside my back door safe and sound but i’m building a new coop and run to make them a new comfortable environment as they will not return to their old space. She was cooped with her sister, the chickens right next door, but I do not want her all by herself! Can i coop her with everyone else? Or should I build two coops and have her in one with a few hens the rooster in another with some hens? By herself at night in her own coop? Let me know! feeling conflicted and just want to do what’s best for her and my chickens, they get along well but she definitely schools them around during treat time - they have consistent food and water as well. Don’t want any coop conflict! Haven’t had any bird on bird crime here in all my 14 years of keeping them! She’s been around for most of it so want to keep her happy and well :)

I have a Royal Palm turkey hen that just turned 12 years old, she has been with chickens her entire life, she’s in great health and probably has another few years of life in her (still lays too, i just let her keep them most of the time). She also had a sister her whole life but this last summer a dog got in the coop at night and for some reason chose her as the target. Because of her age, we do not want to get another turkey, we have 7 golden ameraucana hens and a rooster of the same variety. Ever since the attack, they all sleep in the tree right outside my back door safe and sound but I’m building a new coop and run to make them a new comfortable environment as they will not return to their old space. She was cooped with her sister, the chickens right next door, but I do not want her all by herself! Can i coop her with everyone else? Or should I build two coops and have her in one with a few hens the rooster in another with some hens? By herself at night in her own coop? Let me know! feeling conflicted and just want to do what’s best for her and my chickens, they get along well but she definitely schools them around during treat time - they have consistent food and water as well. Don’t want any coop conflict! Haven’t had any bird on bird crime here in all my 14 years of keeping them! She’s been around for most of it so want to keep her happy and well :)
You can try letting her roost in the chicken coop.

Back
Top Bottom