Turkey hen is sitting on her nest with eggs, but

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
Hen turkey is sitting on her eggs but there are a few chicken eggs in the pile. Should I try to remove the chicken eggs or leave them. I know that turkey eggs hatch about a week after chicken eggs. Will she hatch out the chicken eggs first and wait for the turkey eggs to hatch?

Thanks, I will try to remove the chicken eggs. Another question, She has her nest in the coop in a large wooden crate on the floor. The opening is still pretty large. Should I close off more of the opening so that the Tom can not get to her? What size should I leave open for her?

Thanks, I will try to remove the chicken eggs. Another question, She has her nest in the coop in a large wooden crate on the floor. The opening is still pretty large. Should I close off more of the opening so that the Tom can not get to her? What size should I leave open for her?
It would be better to put an enclosure around the nest. An 8"x8" opening will let the hen through and should keep the tom out. Of course this applies to heritage turkeys and not broad breasted ones.

If you can move her box into a corner, the corner will provide two of the walls of the enclosure which can be made from fencing.

Back
Top Bottom