IS CITRUS BAD FOR CHICKENS/when used in chicken feeds in the world

Glenda L Heywood

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
when researching why citrus is bad for chickens I came up with this being bad for dogs
This interesting fact that citrus juices are used in poultry feed!!!
So I can't find after several times putting it into goole.com
why citrus is bad for poultry
I really never had any idea why this is bad for chickens
but then when I researched green tomatoe vines it also said green tomatores and ripe tomatoes were bad for chickens in Nova Scotia
SO MY THOUGHTS ARE IT IS OLD WIVES TALES
You can read it here
Glenda L Heywood

FROM
Dried citrus peel supplement for use in commercial poultry feed ... The feed composition includes byproduct or waste material from citrus juice extraction. ... Performance of chicks, broilers and laying hens” Nutrition Reports .... 426/2, TREATMENT OF LIVE ANIMAL426/616, Citrus derived426/623, ...

ShareThisBe the first to comment on this pageUS Patent 7115298 - Dried citrus peel supplement for use in commercial poultry feed

US Patent Issued on October 3, 2006
Estimated Patent Expiration Date: December 14, 2021Estimated Expiration Date is calculated based on simple USPTO term provisions. It does not account for terminal disclaimers, term adjustments, failure to pay maintenance fees, or other factors which might affect the term of a patent.Abstract Claims Description Full Text

View Patent Images (PDF)
(Registered users only)
Abstract
Disclosed is an improved poultry feed diet composition and uses incorporating the feed composition. The feed composition includes byproduct or waste material from citrus juice extraction. The citrus byproduct or waste is at a concentration characteristic of a feed supplement. These feed supplements improve poultry characteristics and enhance feed conversion when compared with traditional poultry feed diets or supplements which rely on components that are not in their respective native states as present in citrus byproduct from juice extraction equipment.

Other References
“Feed Information and Animal Production. Proceedings of the Second Symposium of the International Network of Feed Information Centres” 1983, Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Slough, UK XP001149813 p. 425, S.L. Kang and J.H. Choi: “feeding value of dried citrus peel in broiler diets”.

A.R.Y. El Boushy & A.F.B. Van der Poel: “Poultry Feed From Waste: Processing and Use” 1994, Chapman & Hall Ltd, London, UK XP002236225, Chapter 6: Fruit, vegetable and brewers' waste, p. 218, last paragraph-p. 224, paragraph 3.
A.R. Eldred et al.: “Evaluation of waste activated sludge (citrus) as a poultry feed ingredient. 1. Performance of chicks, broilers and laying hens” Nutrition Reports International., vol. 14, No. 2, 1976, pp. 139-145, XP008015422, XX, XX the whole document.
P. Florou-Paneri et al.: “Effect of feeding dried citrus pulp on quail laying performance and some egg quality characteristics” Archiv Fuer Gefluegelkunde, vol. 65, No. 4, 2001, pp. 178-181, XP008015425, Verlag Eugen Ulmer GMBH, DE, ISSN: 0003-9098, p. 179; table 2.
Database WPI, Section CH, Week 199805, Derwent Publications Ltd., London, GB; Class B04, AN 1998-042617, XP002235942 & CN 1 136 402 A (Anyang City Animal Quarantine Station), Nov. 27, 1996 abstract.
Deyoe, et al., “Citrus Bioflavonoids in Broiler Diets”, Poultry Science, 1962.

Fisher, et al., “Avian Atherosclerosis: Retardation by Pectin”, Nov. 20, 1964.
Harms, et al., “Citrus Pulp for Poultry Litter and Its Subsequent Feeding Value for Ruminants”, Agricultrual Experiment Stations Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Bulletin 724 (Technical), Apr. 1968.
Angalet, et al., “Evaluation of Waste Activated Sludge (Citrus) as a Poultry Feed Ingredient”, Poulry Science, 1976.
Eldred, et al., “Evaluation of Waste Activated Slude (Citrus) as a Poultry Feed Ingredient”, Nutrition Reports International, Aug. 1976, vol. 14, No. 2.

Savory and Gentle, “Changes in Food Intake and Gut Size in Japanese Quail in Response to Manipulation of Dietary Fibre Content”, Longman: printed in Great Britain. Br. Pouli. Sci., 17: 571-580, 1976.

Coleman and Shaw, “Amino Acid Composition of Dried Citrus Sludge and Its Potential as a Poultry Feedstuff”, J. Agric. Food Chem., vol. 25, No. 4, 1977.
Baig and Cerda, “Studies on the Role of Citrus in Health and Disease”, Citrus Nutrition and Quality, 1980.

Robbins, “Medical and Nutritional Aspects of Citrus Bioflavonoids”, Citrus Nutrition and Quality, 1980.
Moghazy and Boushy, “Some Neglected Poultry Feedstuffs from Vegetable and Fruit Wastes”, World Poultry Science Journal, vol. 38, 1982.
Bone, Chapter 17, “Anatomy and Physiology of the Fowl”, Animal Anatomy and Physiology, Second Ed., 1982.

Shah, et al., “Effect of Dietary Fiber Components on Fecal Nitrogen Excretion and Protein Utilization in Growing Rats”, Journal of Nutrition, 1982.

Yang and Chung, “Studies on Utilization of Citrus Byproducts as Livestock Feeds”, Korean J. Amin. Sci. 26(3) pp. 244-250, 1984.
Yang and Chung, “Studies on the Utilization of Citrus Byproducts as Livestock Feeds”, Korean J. Amin. Sci. 27(4) pp. 239-245, 1985.
Suh, et al., “Utilization of Citrus Pulp and It's Effect on the Cholesterol Metabolism in Chicks”, Korean J. Amin. Sci. 27(10) pp. 673-678, 1985.
Velloso, et al., “Uso Da Polpa Citrica Na Alimentacao Animal”, Rev. Fac. Med.vet.Zootec.Univ.S.Paulo, II:21-5, 1985.
Hutton, “Citrus Pulp in Formulated Diets”, Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition in Australia, 1987.

Siri, et al., “Effects of Dietary Cellulose Level on Growth Performance Development of Internal Organs, Energy and Nitrogen Utilization and Lipid Contents of Growing Chicks”, AJAS, vol. 5, pp. 369-374, 1992.

Attaway, “Citrus Juice Flavonoids with Anticarcinogenic and Antitumor Properties”, Chapter 19, Food Phytochemicals I: Fruit and Vegetables, 1994.

Tamasaukas, et al., “Evaluation of the Efficacy of Salstop and Digestor Broilers (Citrade C.A.), Two Products Derived From Citrus Fruit Seed Extracts, Against Avian Coccidiosis: Floor Pen Studies”, Parasitol al Dia 20, pp. 118-124, 1996.
Montanari, et al., “Health Promoting Phytochemicals in Citrus Fruit and Juice Products”, Chapter 2, Functionality of Food Phytochemicals, 1997.

Attaway and Buslig, “Antithrombogenic and Antiatherogenic Effects of Citrus Flavonoids”, Flavonoids in the Living System, 1998.
Kurowska, et al., “Regulation of Apo B Production in HepG2 Cells by Citrus Limonoids”, Chapter 13, American Chemical Society, 2000.
Ohara and Yamauchi, “Effects of Dietary Fiber on Growth Performance and Intestinal Development in Chicks”, Technical Bulletin of the Faculty of Agriculturel, Kagawa University, 2000.

Florou-Paneri, et al., “Effect of Feeding Dried Citrus Pulp on Quail Laying Performance and Some Egg Quality Characteristics”, Arch. Geflugelk, 65(4), pp. 178-181, 2001.

Kutlu, “Influences of Wet Feeding and Supplementation with Ascorbic Acid on Performance and Carcass Composition of Broiler Chicks Exposed to a High Ambient Temperature”, Citations from Food Science & Tech. Abstracts (FSTA), 2001.

Peacock and Kirk, “Comparative Feeding Value of Dried Citrus Pulp, Corn Feed Meal and Ground Snapped Corn for Fattening Steers in Drylot”, University of Florida, 2001.
Chapman, et al., “Citrus Feeds for Beef Cattle”, University of Florida, 2001.

J. Manthey and K. Grohmann. 1996. Concentrations of Hesperidin and other Orange Peel Flavonoids in Citrus Processing Byproducts. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 44:811-814.
Song-Hae Bok, Sung-Heui Lee, Yong-Bok Park, Ki-Hwan Bae, Kwang-Hee Son, Tae-Sook Jeong and Myung-Sook Choi. 1999. Plasma and Hepatic Cholesterol and Hepatic Activities of 3-Hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-CoA Reductase and Acyl CoA: Cholesterol Transferase Are Lower in Rats Fed Citrus Peel Extract or a Mixture of Citrus Bioflavonoids. Journal of Nutrition 129:1182-1185.

Lemon peel bioflavonoid concentration: 1.3%. M. D. Coll L. Coll, J. Laencina, F. A. Tomás-Barberán. 1998. Recovery of flavanones from wastes of industrially processed lemons. Z.Z. Lebensm Unters Forsch

this also came up a lot of interesting thoughts on what it cost to get into chickens
Raising Chickens:
They'll eat old citrus, pears, just about anything but root (potato, carrots, ... Not too bad. When I first started "selling" eggs to friends I'd charge $1/dozen. ...
www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/chickenfaq.htm - 42k - Cached

I got this but it doesn't tell why
maybe something about the acid in the gut

FROM url below this information
Don't feed your chickens citrus fruit peels, bones, garlic, onion, large amounts of meat or any meat that has gone bad.

How to Keep Chickens in the City | eHow.com
Chickens are easy to care for and don't require a lot of space. ... Don't feed your chickens citrus fruit peels, bones, garlic, onion, large amounts ...www.ehow.com/how_2037461_keep-chickens-city.html - 58k - Cached

hopefully this puts to rest the falacy about citrus and chickens
maybe the fact that it is processed agrees with chickens diet

I know cooking or processing pineapple kills the enzymes.

Wonder if it's enzymes in citrus that bother chickens? Coz I know the enzymes in pineapple core are tough enough they can make your mouth bleed! But in small amounts they help digestion (for us humans that is) so....
Probably moderation is the key.

I have read the citrus isn't bad for the chickens but makes the eggs shell weak from the acids. But I can't remember where I read it. It may have been here in BYC forums.

Altho the info is interesting, I dont find it particularly relevant
> Those studies with the PROCESSED product ... this is quite different than the fresh leftovers (I have never seen the processed product available but in bulk tonnage to the industry)

All of the ingredients tested (study on toxicity levels of the known problematic substance > most notably LIMONENE) in the following study are issues with the fresh product...
http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd19/7/olur19089.htm
(2007)
excerpt:
"...Conclusions
Nutrition quality of feeds is critical in livestock development. The phytochemical examination of citrus fruits peel meals of Citrus sinensis (Washington variety), Citrus sinensis (Ibadan variety), Citrus limonum and Citrus qurantifolia has shown that they contain tannin, and saponin, phytate, oxalate, flavonoid and limonene in varying highly significant amounts (p<0.01). It was observed that their concentrations in CFPM were lower than the levels at which these chemical compounds have been reported be harmful to farm animals.

The effect the presence of limonene which has been reported to be toxic to pig and especially poultry should be investigated to determine at what level it becomes toxic to various livestock species."

Last edited:
I always have extra grapefruit and ornamental oranges from a couple of trees. I'm thinking I should try them once to see what happens.

Quote:
Thats logical..

cant remember where I read it but pretty sure citrus is bad for calcium..

Just think oranges and teeth
smile.png

For us humans parts of the citrus inhibits the uptake of calcium from the digestive tract ie... oj and milk for breakfast is ironic after you learn this little fact in college human nutrition course. It may have some affect on the calium uptake for chickens thereby affecting the eggshells. I agree with moderation being the key here.

At a free course on 'backyard chickens' offered by our extension office, a nutritionalist told the class that chickens, like very few other animals, actually make their own vitamin C. Feeding them citrus is only bad for them due to the excess vitamin C you'd be giving them and could cause them to have too much in their bodies.

There's a major difference between what is found in the citrus peel and what is found in the juice.

Processed citrus pulp, the leftovers after being squeezed for juice, has been a common cattle feed here in Florida for many decades now. I'm inclined to doubt that it would be of much value to poultry though. A lot of the d-limonene is extracted before the pulp is dried as it's a valuable byproduct in itself.

There is not as much ascorbic acid (vitamin C) in citrus juice as some believe. It's an easy nutrient to lose during processing. I'm not sure what value in a poultry feed it may have, but I suspect it's not for its vitamin C content.

.....Alan.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom