Two Polish very lathargic bairly breathing.

Doug the Chicken Man

Songster
10 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Near Ottawa, Ontario
We currently have 2 buff polish that are very lethargic and just breathing.
We bought them at a poultry auction 5 weeks ago. they were under quarantine until last weekend when we put all of the birds that we bought into a separate part of our coop so that when we integrate them it will be less traumatic.
Last night my daughter found some lice on them so we put tea tree oil on them and separated them from the rest of the flock each bird had about 5-6 drops. The 3 silkies we put about the same number of drops on and they are fine. They were placed in a dog crate in the garage. At the same time we noticed that their eyes had a yellow crust above them. So they spent the night in the dog crate in the Garage which it go down to -5C. This morning they were barely moving so we brought them in to the house to try to warm them up and get them mobile again. They still are not moving much and still are barely breathing.
The crops on both of them feel empty.

DW has tried to feed them but they did not eat much of it barely moving. Just lots of bugs.

Before the TEA TREE oiling they were very active. Is it possible to over oil the birds.

We are going to try bath them to see if that helps

Below is the picture of the males eye crust.
40058_100_1943.jpg

the one pullet has died, and the cockerel is still slowly breathing, suspect that he is not going to make it. I believe that it is Tea tree oil poisoning. The pullet would groom herself then groom her man. so we have learned to be very sparing with the Tea tree oil.

Last night my daughter found some lice on them so we put tea tree oil on them and separated them from the rest of the flock each bird had about 5-6 drops.

DO NOT USE TEA TREE OIL TO TREAT MITES ON BIRDS. If ingested (think preening etc. or through a crack in the skin) it can kill them.
Teatree oil is absorbed through the skin and it is also an aromatic > a no-no for birds.

Gillian (an avian toxicologist) has this to say:
http://www.exoticbird.com/gillian/teatree.html

dlhunicorn: Very interesting and good to know. Wow that stuff is potent. You are so helpful you have responded to some of my posts. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and being so helpful.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am sorry that you lost the two birds. I had no idea that tea tree oil would do that either. I know some of the products that I use on my horses has it in the formula, makes me wonder about using it again.

Quote:
Actually I was truly surprised, but I also only have one product on hand in the barn that a boarder brought for her horse. It is in a fly spray and I know it also used in several products for skin conditions. Just proves that we are never too old to learn something new.
wink.png
I am just sorry to learn it at the cost of someone elses birds.

Back
Top Bottom