Golden neck color in a different breed without crossing????

briarpatchfarms

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Grayson, Ky
I am wanting to come up with a Golden Neck veriety in another breed other than Duccles without crossing to a Duccle. How can I do this??? Black or Blue mottled with buff??? will this work?

Quote:
What breed are you wanting to produce? Can you obtain a red pyle or a white tailed red sex link ( golden comet, etc.)?

You will have to use a red pyle or a sex link ( white tailed red ) to breed in the dominant white gene. The bird does not have to be a good red pyle, just a bird that is leaking red color. Using a white leghorn would be a royal pain.

You would also need a speckled sussex.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok, you my have edited to add the part about the SS while I was typing that question, So breeding a Colden Comet hen and a Speckled Sussex roo would get me started?

Sorry to the OP for highjacking the thread, but I am interested too.

I love the gold-necked variety.
smile.png

What is white in cochins? Recessive or dominant? Hmmmmm.....

Well ya see....I've got mille fleur bantam cochins....if white cochins are dominant white, that could lead to interesting thoughts......
smile.png

Quote:
Ok, you my have edited to add the part about the SS while I was typing that question, So breeding a Colden Comet hen and a Speckled Sussex roo would get me started?

Sorry to the OP for highjacking the thread, but I am interested too.

I would use a sussex male on red sex linked females. The females have to be white tailed reds. If you use a sex linked male some of the female chicks will be, as adults, silver with red on their backs.

Then back cross the F1 females that are white tailed red to the male sussex= F2 some of the F2 will be golden necks. The coloring of the golden necks will depend on the coloring of the male. A speckled sussex male that is is heavily eumelanized ( black pigment) will produce offspring that will, as adults, have more white in thier plumage.

Mottled birds vary quit a bit in color and change over time. I do not know what you are wanting in your golden necks. Birds that have a heavy black chevron will produce offspring with larger white spots. Birds with black in their tails and wings will produce birds with white in their tails and wings.

You may want to breed the gold necks to speckled sussex that vary in color and pick out the birds that you like from the breeding.

Birds that carry mahogany are going to be a darker red than the birds that do not carry mahogany. Birds that carry two dominant white genes will be a lighter red than those that carry one dominant white gene.

The sex linked birds could carry the brown gene and a wheaten gene. If you happen to produce birds that are homozygous brown ( carry two brown genes) the birds will show more white and less buff color.

You will just have to pick the color you like and keep breeding them together.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom