Jun 2, 2023
What breed is good to cross to silkies to introduce specific colors? I’m considering crossing my lavender Orpington girls to my black silkie or paint silkie roo to work towards producing a line of lavender silkies. I know it would take time and work but that’s the fun part! I also thought about doing the same thing with chocolate Orpingtons, as I’m getting a couple soon.

What breed is good to cross to silkies to introduce specific colors? I’m considering crossing my lavender Orpington girls to my black silkie or paint silkie roo to work towards producing a line of lavender silkies. I know it would take time and work but that’s the fun part! I also thought about doing the same thing with chocolate Orpingtons, as I’m getting a couple soon.
Orpingtons are about the last breed I would cross to get a color into silkies. There are already silkie breeders with lavender birds. If you must make your own, use lavender cochin bantams. At least they're the right size and have feathered legs already.

Orpingtons are about the last breed I would cross to get a color into silkies. There are already silkie breeders with lavender birds. If you must make your own, use lavender cochin bantams. At least they're the right size and have feathered legs already.
The reason I was considering the Orpingtons is bc they’re much more readily available in the lavender color. Whereas if I were to use Cochins, I’d have to order hatching eggs that would cost me an arm and a leg and then they might not even hatch. I do agree that bantam Cochins are probably the better way to go for crosses, but I simply do not have access to them.

The reason I was considering the Orpingtons is bc they’re much more readily available in the lavender color. Whereas if I were to use Cochins, I’d have to order hatching eggs that would cost me an arm and a leg and then they might not even hatch. I do agree that bantam Cochins are probably the better way to go for crosses, but I simply do not have access to them.
Where are you located?

Last > was aware, IDEAL Hatchery had lavender cochin bantams. They were listed as Self Blue
Wow I’ve never heard of ideal hatchery before. They had a few other breeds I’ve been on the hunt for and their shipping isn’t ridiculously expensive. Thank you for the recommendation! Will be ordering in a month or so

Back
Top Bottom