Status
Not open for further replies.

Pathfinders

Crowing
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Northern KY
I thought I would start a thread here about Buckeyes (so I can get them added to the pinned list!)

I am the Secretary/Treasurer and founder (along with my daughter) of the American Buckeye Poultry Club, and am happy to answer any questions I can about these great birds. So if anyone has any questions or comments about the breed (they come in large fowl and bantams), please don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

I just started with buckeyes this year.They are the most friendly birds I own.When I come out they get right under my feet and love to be held.They are great free rangers and stick together like mud.I will try to post pictures tommorow.I hope to start showing mine this spring.They will be the first birds I have ever shown.I would love to see pictures of others birds.I would reccomend these birds to anyone that wants a easy to keep dual purpose bird.
big_smile.png

James

Last edited:
Laura,
Git outta here .... Don't you dare tempt me into another heritage bird! LOL

Honestly though, I didn't realize they came in standard size, as I thought they were all bantum. Maybe I was reading on a bantum site at the time, I dunno. I prefer standard size, due to possibility of dual purpose birds. I LOVE the idea of preserving the heritage birds, and will subscribe to this thread to learn more.

Hee hee. You know me, always workin' to getcha hooked on something else.

wink.png

James, here are some of my birds:

Flock1.jpg

FatBoy1.jpg

RCHAmericanCRcopy.jpg

Quote:
Great looking birds.I will do my best to take pictures and post tommorow.

kathyinmo you have got to have some of these great birds I love them as much as my Delawares!!!

Quote:
James, are you in cahoots with Laura? Now, stop it!

Really though, the only reason I passed by this breed (because I like the idea that a woman developed them!), was because I thought they were all bantums.

Now, leave me alone, as I ponder!

*off to go outside to see where I should build the next coop!*

Alright pathfinders I use to raise Buckeyes and now the blood started to move seeing your birds.
bow.gif
I miss that deep coloring in the yard and they lay very well. Thanks Mike

I think they're gorgeous-definite possibilities for the spring; oh won't the hubby stroke out over this!! heehee I've already sprung it on him that I want a bator for christmas and that I've planned to fill it with maran and araucana eggs, what's a few more?!!! lol I also like the fact that a woman created this breed, too cool! Beautiful birds Pathfinder!!

I also have to second James' comment that these birds are inordinately friendly. When I go up to feed mine they crowd around my feet so that I can barely walk. The cock birds are respectful but not flighty, just about perfect IMO.

Hello James:

I thought I would put up a few pictures. Here is my cockerel that won Best of Breed at the Ohio National (sorry the pics are so poor, the flash makes him appear "redder" and he wouldn't be still, different angles though); and he from the exact same Sire and Dams (and line-bred) as your birds, James, :

IM001084.jpg

IM001083.jpg

and he had great pea comb & wattles (if you can tell much from this pic:
IM001082.jpg

Here is the Sire (X2) of your birds (ALBC strain), James (Roy has him now):
IM000981.jpg

and your bird's GREAT-grandfather (a pure "Urch strain" bird):
IM000696_0006.jpg

and grandmothers of your birds:
IM000760_0048_048.jpg

and the mothers of your birds:
FL000027.jpg