Making Deli-Style Turkey Breast - photos & Pastrami added pg 2

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
Wish me luck! I'm attempting to make my own deli-style sliced turkey breast. Not just roasted turkey breast - but that moist tender turkey breast with the dense yet fine texture that you buy as sliced deli meat.

I have a huge boneless skinless turkey breast half, weighing in at 4 lbs. (LOL...yes, that's right, only half of the breast, and boneless, and it still weighs that much!) It's from a farm raised pastured turkey, not one of our own...but that's another story.

Anyway....

So I've injected the breast half with a water/lemon/garlic/salt solution using a needle like this one

injector_needle.jpg

I've roastied the boneless breast using an oven bag to help keep it moist. Now I'm letting it setup overnight in the refrigerator for the juices to settle in the meat. And finally tomorrow, it'll get sliced thin on our food slicer

foodslicer.gif

Will post tomorrow with the results!

Last edited:
This sounds yummy. I am anxious to see how it turns out. I tried making deli roast beef this past summer. It was ok, but not as juicy as store bought. Around here some places want 7.99 lb for it!!!!!, that's too rich for my blood, the turkey breast too.

I too would like to see a few pics and see how it comes out, I like the idea.

AL

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I'll post some pic's later this evening. I'm only on a short break now before our daily UPS pick-up comes. I did cut the end off though while photographing...and, oh my....pretty good!

DH & I will slice it later and take a final pic to post. Also, we already do a homemade Pastrami that is to die for. I'll dig that info out too.

OK....back to getting these orders shipped so there's time to play later! Tough being a farmer.
big_smile.png

How do you cut it that it would stay together instead of falling into pieces? I never can understand how deli companies make their turkey meat looking nice and neat for our sammies! Alot of times, they tasted funky!

Yesterday I went to the deli to get some sliced meats, I ordered turkey breasts and salami....well guess what they didn't clean out the machines after each use or after each customer's use? I know I saw it often and how often do they are required to clean to muster up the criteria for sake of germs??????? Water bleach (food safe) sprays would work. I hate to think about the germs that has been there. I left the store, wondering if they should clean after so many times or after each order or what???????? This was at Kroger's. Haven't gotten sick from them yet.

I never can understand how deli companies make their turkey meat looking nice and neat for our sammies! Alot of times, they tasted funky!

It's ground turkey. They grind 50 pound frozen blocks of turkey meat etc's then put it into a mixer and add spices

http://www.centurionequipment.com/photos/bg_2449.jpg

From there it would go into a bowl cutter, it was called a "chopper" at the plant I worked at

http://www.centurionequipment.com/photos/bg_2431.jpg

Then it would go to a stuffer

http://www.centurionequipment.com/photos/bg_2807.jpg

From the stuffer they would make "chubs" they were about 4 feet long 4 to 8 inches in diameter and they were put into racks and sent to the smoke house for cooking, then cooled, aged and sliced. That would be for the packaged lunchmeat you see in the stores. The deli turkey like Sara Lee does is made the same way but it's packaged into the oval shaped package you see in the deli counter.

Yum Yum.... not
smile.png

Steve in NC​

See... this is why I do my own and I don't buy from the deli!

Hubby makes me buy him roast beef, but that's it... I don't eat anything from there.

I have a bunch of extra frozen turkey's in the freezer I'm planning on defrosting and make turkey sausage and breast loin out of. Enough to slice for sandwiches.

(My Thanksgiving goose and turkey are already gone!!! ARGH!!!)

Back
Top Bottom