New Coop - Paint Inside?

BetterHensandGardens

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Clinton, OH
Ok, so the new coop arrived (see pictures here if interested - http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/13/new-chicken-coop-with-surprise/)
celebrate.gif
, and DH asked, "should we paint the inside - maybe it would help protect the wood?"

And I had no idea as to whether it's a good idea, is it worth the work (chickens won't care), or should we leave it the way it is?
idunno.gif

What's the best thing to do?

VERY nice coop! And chicks, too!
woot.gif

I would paint the inside, and use a latex paint, not oil-based. Reason? Paint will help seal the surfaces for easier cleaning and close places where mites might hide.

wow - that's a nice coop. Definitely paint inside. Prime first (I like to use oil-based kilz primer on bare wood and then latex exterior semi-gloss color, 2-3 coats). Do the floor while you're at it. You'll be so glad you did when it comes time to clean out your coop....

Nice coop (and great surprise)! We painted ours indoors and put vinyl on the floor--love it!! The shavings just slide off the floor and any dirt on the wall or roost come right off.
wink.png

Did the same as Chickerdoodle and it's making clean up a breeze!! I highly recommend it. I can't believe some of the places poo shows up (insert smiley scratching it's head)

Back
Top Bottom