Warty Egg on Day Three

wishingbee

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Sequim, WA
I'm weighing my eggs every three days or so to make sure they're losing the right amount of weight before hatch day. Every egg is on track, but I couldn't help but notice a potential issue with one of them.

The egg in question has developed something that looks like hot glue on the outside of it. It's not sticky, it's a bit translucent. The egg does not have a smell. Any clues?

97801_wartyegg-1.jpg

It looks like my egg has forgotten to grow a chick, and has decided to grow warts instead.
hu.gif

That's an egg that's gone bad.
sickbyc.gif
Carefully remove it and put it in a ziplock bag or something. It could explode. Eggs weep like that when there is bacteria in the egg and the pressure of the gas build up starts to push the yolk or albumen through the pores of the egg.

The offending egg has been removed!

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Hopefully I'll have better luck with the remaining 13.
smile.png

I had quite a few weeping crusty eggs in my last hatch. None of them smelled, none of them had bacteria in them, none of them were anywhere near to exploding. They all candled totally clear and when I finally removed them on day 18 and cracked them open, they were all scrambled. Burst yolks and all gooey inside. But not rotten.

Quote:
Sad!! I hope the remainder of your eggs do well for you. What day are you on?

Out of curiosity, did you candle your eggs before setting them in the incubator? If you did, did you notice anything 'off' about them before you set them? I had noted that this one had a very mobile air bubble, which in hindsight probably indicated it was scrambled. Whoops! It's all a learning experience, isn't it?

Quote:
Sad!! I hope the remainder of your eggs do well for you. What day are you on?

Out of curiosity, did you candle your eggs before setting them in the incubator? If you did, did you notice anything 'off' about them before you set them? I had noted that this one had a very mobile air bubble, which in hindsight probably indicated it was scrambled. Whoops! It's all a learning experience, isn't it?

Yes! The air sac's looked very bubbly and mobile. And then when I popped them in the incubator they immediated started to "leak," for lack of a better word. I was hoping it was condensation but then it dried and most definitely looked like little egg warts. I'm currently on day four, so right around the same time too. After reading this thread I pulled the suspects out of the incubator and candled them and they still looked bubbly and just off compared to the others. I stuck them back in, it's probably absolutely hopeless, but I think I'll wait 'til Day 7 before I throw them out. Or tomorrow if curiosity gets the better of me, I might yank one and crack it open. Funny thing is, I have both Black Copper and Blue Splash Marans eggs in the 'bator, and it is only affecting my Blue Splash eggs, of which a lot of them were also very porous. Did you open your's up when you pulled it out?

Back
Top Bottom