Hello new here, just recently going on 2 weeks ago I purchased some chicks from a breeder some blue americauna's a couple weeks old and 2 month old australorps. After I got them home all chicks showed signs of sneezing and the americauna's had watery eyes develop a few days later and 1 had both eyes glued shut. They all eat and drink well, I have given them all Tetracycline treatment and the americauna's eyes are getting better by day. My main question is if this is CRD or something like that for sure a respitory problem will they pass this on to other birds i introduce to the flock if they are showing minimal to no signs of a disease at the time I introduce the new ones?
Disease in coop question
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
You probably don't want to hear this but here is my view anyway.
Chronic Respiratory Disease is a quick onset disease so yes your birds may have it. The "C" in CRD stands for chronic and that means that once a chick has CRD that there is no cure, and that there is no way to fight CRD except with a sharp hatchet.
CRD will keep surfacing and resurfacing until the sick birds are culled. The impression that you have cured a bird is just that, an impression.
Edited by chickengeorgeto - 8/26/15 at 4:53pm
That's the news I was fearing, I have started to cull the younger americauna's, now have 3 now and 2 of them have bubbly eyes, will either cull those or raise them to a certain age and butcher them if the eyes don't get bad enough that they glue shut they are quarantened in another coop away from the main flock. This fall I will get rid of the ones I bought this year(blue americauna's and australorps. I also find that my main flock has been sneezing or coughing I can't tell, but they have no nasal discharge and or anything else just sneeze every once in a while is this the start of a respitory disease? I have been cleaning and disinfecting in my main coop with clorox solution with water on floor, walls, waterers and feeders. I will look into getting a test done do I have to sacrifice a bird or just get a blood sample? If worst come to worst and I decide to cull all 22 birds, how long does this bacteria last out of the chickens?
Just an update I have come to the conclusion in the end to cull everything I am left with my plymouth rocks that I raised. I plan to cull these as soon as possible I chose to go the route of culling after contacting the local vet who spoke to the poultry vet of my area, it is best for me too just cull, cause they would have to inspect everything, and my barn is almost 100 years old so it isnt the must cleanly looking place but its all I have, after depopulating i will wash, and disinfect with either virkon or I can white wash which my dad wants to have done. Will wait a month before repopulating. Thanks for all the advice and is there any other advice from here on?