Respiratory disease?

Oct 11, 2023
Arizona
My 3 older chicks randomly started sneezing a few minutes ago. Like a lot. They are constantly shaking their heads as well. Is this a respiratory disease? If so, how would I treat this at home? They are 2 weeks old. I’ve never heard them sneeze before, so I am worried. I’ve been taking them outside this past few days, and I’m starting to think they caught something. Please help.

Can you describe where they are kept in their brooder? What type of bedding, and is it dry and changed often? Sneezing is normal occasionally when dust or dander gets into the nostrils or airway. Dust in feed also may cough a sneeze. Something may be irritating them. Where did your chicks come from? Hopefully, this is just minor irritation, and not an illness. Fresh air is good for them if they are warm enough.

Can you describe where they are kept in their brooder? What type of bedding, and is it dry and changed often? Sneezing is normal occasionally when dust or dander gets into the nostrils or airway. Dust in feed also may cough a sneeze. Something may be irritating them. Where did your chicks come from? Hopefully, this is just minor irritation, and not an illness. Fresh air is good for them if they are warm enough.
They are kept inside 2 large cardboard boxes i duck taped together. It’s in the house in an empty room. The bedding is pine shavings. I change it 2 times a week. My sneezing chicks came from CAL Ranch and the others from another feed store.

Update, she is still sneezing after 24 hours. I’m on my way to get VetRX from the store. Does anyone know if giving it to her will hurt her if she doesn’t have a respiratory infection/disease? I’m separating her tonight after I get the medicine.

My 3 months old started sneezing out of nowhere although she is eating, drinking and acting normal, she is still sneezing throughout the day. I assume it is dust particles we can't see. Now if your chicks shake their heads try adding some oregano and garlic into the water, not too much though. Garlic and oregano have antibacterial activity and may help if your chicks are ill.

They are kept inside 2 large cardboard boxes i duck taped together. It’s in the house in an empty room. The bedding is pine shavings. I change it 2 times a week. My sneezing chicks came from CAL Ranch and the others from another feed store.
Remove the pine shavings and temporarily replace it with newspaper. Do not add anything to their chick starter feed and ensure they have clean fresh water without any additives.

Back
Top Bottom