Help please! My hen has a respiratory disease.

Are all her droppings that consistency? While not super runny, they are looser than I would say is normal unless she's drinking a lot of water, and it appears there is some undigested stuff in there as well as some mucous. If you have never wormed her, then I still would recommend doing that. You can also do a round of the Tylan to see if it helps with the gaping. Just because you don't see worms in droppings, doesn't mean they aren't there. The only way to know for sure is a fecal test.
Most often they are never seen, they live their entire life cycle inside the bird and then are digested. The test looks for the eggs, which are microscopic. That could explain her weight loss as well.

Thank you for the reply. Most of her droppings are the consistency in the photos, although some are more solid.

As for weight loss, she used to feel heavier but she has been lighter ever since about December of last year

I am still new to this - what do I use to worm her? Also, on the off-chance she does not have worms, will a chemical worming treatment cause any damage? Also is it safe to give Tylan and worming treatment at the same time?

I looked it up, and some websites talk about diatomaceous earth, garlic, apple cider vinegar. I am already giving them garlic and apple cider vinegar and it is not making any difference. So I am skeptical about those "natural" treatments.

Also, I checked some other BYC posts about buying Tylan online, and someone said it still requires a veterinarian prescription. How can I get Tylan without a veterinary prescription?

Last edited:
I get some of my supplies here, but they are currently sold out:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
A lot of meds are being switched to prescription only, but search for other pigeon or bird supply places, it may be in stock there.
I found it available here, I have never ordered from here, so have no experience with this retailer:
https://pigeonsuppliesplus.com/prod...6e08cd7450cbbdddc64c6cf2e8891f6d48747c6d56d2c
Also found it here:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds
Some can't ship to California, if you are there.
For worming you can use Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer, or Valbazen, labeled for cattle. Safeguard is usually available locally, Valbazen usually has to be ordered on line. Wormers still do not require prescription.
The wormers are very safe, it won't hurt anything even if she didn't have them. Garlic, ACV, herbals, are not effective. I learned the hard way. They may be useful as a preventative, to help with the immune system, but there really isn't any proof. I had really sick, and a couple that died, early on, from internal parasites. So I don't mess around anymore. I have never killed or hurt a bird by worming them.
If you get the Safeguard the dose is by weight, .25 ml per pound of body weight orally, for 5 days in a row. You will need an oral syringe.
For Valbazen, dose for a standard sized bird is .5 ml orally, two doses 10 days apart.

I just got the Safeguard Liquid Goat Wormer. Is this the right one?
20240414_211626[1].jpg
20240414_211635[1].jpg
20240414_211705[1].jpg

About the dosage, is it just one time per day? Is it easy to overdose her (like with Ivermectin for example)? Is it worse to underdose or overdose?

Update: I forgot to mention that I listened to her chest before and I heard a kind of wheezy noise. I am not sure, put I may ave also hear a slight popping sound. The noise did not sound like it came from her throat - it was further down than that. What does it mean?

Last edited:
That is the correct wormer. Once a day, for 5 days in a row. Easiest way is to take her off the roost before dawn, they are calmer then. You don't want to underdose, that can lead to parasites that are resistant to the medication. The medication is very safe, you would have to give a huge amount to over dose her. If you have a fraction that is hard to measure, then round up to the next easiest mark on your syringe. Get a weight, a digital kitchen scale works well, then .25 ml per pound of weight. Shake it up well before drawing the dose, it settles out.
The wheeze or popping is likely respiratory, but I can't hear it or see her breathing so hard for me to say. Sometimes it can happen if the crop is full and not emptying and liquid is coming back up and entering the airway. If you have Tylosin on the way, I would go ahead and do a round of that, to see if it helps.

That is the correct wormer. Once a day, for 5 days in a row. Easiest way is to take her off the roost before dawn, they are calmer then. You don't want to underdose, that can lead to parasites that are resistant to the medication. The medication is very safe, you would have to give a huge amount to over dose her. If you have a fraction that is hard to measure, then round up to the next easiest mark on your syringe. Get a weight, a digital kitchen scale works well, then .25 ml per pound of weight. Shake it up well before drawing the dose, it settles out.
The wheeze or popping is likely respiratory, but I can't hear it or see her breathing so hard for me to say. Sometimes it can happen if the crop is full and not emptying and liquid is coming back up and entering the airway. If you have Tylosin on the way, I would go ahead and do a round of that, to see if it helps.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/bertha.7430292/

I will record her breathing first thing tomorrow.

@BarnyardChaos maybe you could come see (I saw you responded a while back so I thought you might have knowledge of what's going on - hope you don't mind me tagging you! :))
I don't mind at all! Unfortunately, I'm no help with respiratory issues. I've been away from the board for several months, so I haven't been much help to anybody lately!
As for the Safeguard wormer, it's safe and is used off-label for poultry. An avian vet once told me you'd have to dose her 100X the recommended dose for there to be any danger. He had to follow protocol and advise me not to eat her eggs or meat for (I forget - what, 2 weeks? A month?) awhile. But then I reframed the question: Would HE eat the eggs or meat without any withdrawal period - and his answer was YES.
I hope you find a diagnosis and treatment for her soon.

Withdrawl for Safeguard is 14 days following dose, if you choose to follow the withdrawl. Many people continue to use the eggs. Do what you are comfortable with . The medication is also used in humans sometimes, the concern is usually allergic reaction, if you were allergic to it. I continue to use the eggs, and am still fine. If you sell or give away, then you might want to follow withdrawl for that.

Back
Top Bottom