New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rooster eye injury??

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
He has a eye thats leaking fluid, almost looks like bubbles when he opens his eye..hes keeping it close. And he also has a cough or a sneezing spells , Hes roughly 14weeks. He was hatched here with his siblings, we never added anyone new , same flock we had for months...
post #2 of 9

He has a respiratory issue, could be one of many.  He needs to be separated from the others (looks like he is already) and he needs an antibiotic asap.  For the eye, you can use Triple A antibiotic ointment with no pain killer, after first washing the eye with any human eye wash or sterile saline solution..  Even after the eye opens, continue to apply the ointment around the eye, with a q tip or something similar. 

 

I don't know what's available where you are, but generally you can get Oxytet to mix in his water from most feed mills.  Baytril is excellent, and there are other anitibiotics available too at most feed stores. Tylan is good too, but it's injectable, I've never used it.  I like Oxytet as it works quickly if you start it right away. You generally have to order Baytril on line..all are online and available through different sites. Start with Oxytet if you want, and you can progress to something stronger if you have to. You can also use VetRX if you have any or can get it.  But I think he will need an antibiotic too.

 

Keep him warm and in a hospital pen.  I like to keep them where they can hear and see the others, but dont have any actual contact. If it's cold where you are though, best to keep him inside.

Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknmania View Post

He has a respiratory issue, could be one of many.  He needs to be separated from the others (looks like he is already) and he needs an antibiotic asap.  For the eye, you can use Triple A antibiotic ointment with no pain killer, after first washing the eye with any human eye wash or sterile saline solution..  Even after the eye opens, continue to apply the ointment around the eye, with a q tip or something similar. 

I don't know what's available where you are, but generally you can get Oxytet to mix in his water from most feed mills.  Baytril is excellent, and there are other anitibiotics available too at most feed stores. Tylan is good too, but it's injectable, I've never used it.  I like Oxytet as it works quickly if you start it right away. You generally have to order Baytril on line..all are online and available through different sites. Start with Oxytet if you want, and you can progress to something stronger if you have to. You can also use VetRX if you have any or can get it.  But I think he will need an antibiotic too.

Keep him warm and in a hospital pen.  I like to keep them where they can hear and see the others, but dont have any actual contact. If it's cold where you are though, best to keep him inside.
You are right he does have respiratory infection of some sort, hes coughing out mucus the poor guy. We dont have any vets available for the weekend and i called the coop food places and none of them carry any antibiotics. Im so bummed. I love my rooster he was always extra cuddly. I dont know what to do😢
post #4 of 9

Tylan 50 injectible is very commonly used for mycoplasma-related respiratory infections--1/2-3/4 cc injected in the breast muscle for 3-6 days. Even though it's not rated for chickens, I've heard many people say it works. You can order it online from Tractor Supply, if you live in the US. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/elanco-tylan-200-500cc

If the infection is viral, however, an antibiotic will not do any good. 

Can you get access to polyvisol without iron? Some people use this to help treat the respiratory infection. You can get it at most walmarts. 

Do any of your feed stores have a product called VetRx? This is a homeopathic remedy made of oils that cures respiratory issues. And yes, it is very very important to keep him away from his other flockmates. Respiratory problems usually are very contagious. Try to keep him as comfortable as you can. 

One thing to note is that in many cases, respiratory infections never completely go away. Here is a thread where people are discussing respiratory infections: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/663225/eureka-on-fighting-a-respiratory-infection

Hope he is feeling better soon! 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1088873/styrofoam-incubators-club ---Come join us! 

~Below Paradise Poultry~

 

Reply

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1088873/styrofoam-incubators-club ---Come join us! 

~Below Paradise Poultry~

 

Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniva10 View Post



You are right he does have respiratory infection of some sort, hes coughing out mucus the poor guy. We dont have any vets available for the weekend and i called the coop food places and none of them carry any antibiotics. Im so bummed. I love my rooster he was always extra cuddly. I dont know what to do😢

 



Where are you? I mean are you in the US? If so, you can get antibiotics quickly on line. www.firststatevetsupply.com is one good source, and he carries a variety of antibiotics and if you want to you can even contact him with your roosters' symptoms and he will tell you what is best to use. Do you not have Tractor Supply stores where you are? They always carry Tylan Injectable and I think Penicillin Injectable too.

pet stores sometimes carry antibiotics for cage birds. That is another option maybe that you could try. If nothing else, continue to keep him warm and eating til you can talk to a vet. You can give him scrambled egg or banana, soft bread soaked in buttermilk, grapes chopped up fine. These are some things our sick birds like a lot. What are you feeding him? Do you feed crumbles or grain or what?
Edited by chicknmania - 10/2/15 at 8:35pm
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknmania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniva10 View Post



You are right he does have respiratory infection of some sort, hes coughing out mucus the poor guy. We dont have any vets available for the weekend and i called the coop food places and none of them carry any antibiotics. Im so bummed. I love my rooster he was always extra cuddly. I dont know what to do😢

 



Where are you? I mean are you in the US? If so, you can get antibiotics quickly on line. www.firststatevetsupply.com is one good source, and he carries a variety of antibiotics and if you want to you can even contact him with your roosters' symptoms and he will tell you what is best to use. Do you not have Tractor Supply stores where you are? They always carry Tylan Injectable and I think Penicillin Injectable too.

pet stores sometimes carry antibiotics for cage birds. That is another option maybe that you could try. If nothing else, continue to keep him warm and eating til you can talk to a vet. You can give him scrambled egg or banana, soft bread soaked in buttermilk, grapes chopped up fine. These are some things our sick birds like a lot. What are you feeding him? Do you feed crumbles or grain or what?
they eat grains made for laying hens, and im ib NB canada, i cant seem to order anything, im headig to a pet store soon to check it out, the feed store is closed and now 4 of my birds have it:( i seperated those as well
post #7 of 9

uh oh.  If any die you need to get a necropsy.  It could be ILT.  See if the Chicken Doctor at first state will deliver to Canada.  I think he might. No time to lose, so gogogo.  If you find antibiotic, still give it to them, even if it's a virus the antibiotic will help to combat secondary infection.  If it's ILT please do contact peter at First State, he saved our flock from ILT years ago, and I am forever indebted to him for his help with that.


Edited by chicknmania - 10/3/15 at 8:18am
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknmania View Post

uh oh.  If any die you need to get a necropsy.  It could be ILT.  See if the Chicken Doctor at first state will deliver to Canada.  I think he might. No time to lose, so gogogo.  If you find antibiotic, still give it to them, even if it's a virus the antibiotic will help to combat secondary infection.  If it's ILT please do contact peter at First State, he saved our flock from ILT years ago, and I am forever indebted to him for his help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknmania View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniva10 View Post



You are right he does have respiratory infection of some sort, hes coughing out mucus the poor guy. We dont have any vets available for the weekend and i called the coop food places and none of them carry any antibiotics. Im so bummed. I love my rooster he was always extra cuddly. I dont know what to do😢

 



Where are you? I mean are you in the US? If so, you can get antibiotics quickly on line. www.firststatevetsupply.com is one good source, and he carries a variety of antibiotics and if you want to you can even contact him with your roosters' symptoms and he will tell you what is best to use. Do you not have Tractor Supply stores where you are? They always carry Tylan Injectable and I think Penicillin Injectable too.

pet stores sometimes carry antibiotics for cage birds. That is another option maybe that you could try. If nothing else, continue to keep him warm and eating til you can talk to a vet. You can give him scrambled egg or banana, soft bread soaked in buttermilk, grapes chopped up fine. These are some things our sick birds like a lot. What are you feeding him? Do you feed crumbles or grain or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetandsteet View Post

Tylan 50 injectible is very commonly used for mycoplasma-related respiratory infections--1/2-3/4 cc injected in the breast muscle for 3-6 days. Even though it's not rated for chickens, I've heard many people say it works. You can order it online from Tractor Supply, if you live in the US. http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/elanco-tylan-200-500cc
If the infection is viral, however, an antibiotic will not do any good. 
Can you get access to polyvisol without iron? Some people use this to help treat the respiratory infection. You can get it at most walmarts. 
Do any of your feed stores have a product called VetRx? This is a homeopathic remedy made of oils that cures respiratory issues. And yes, it is very very important to keep him away from his other flockmates. Respiratory problems usually are very contagious. Try to keep him as comfortable as you can. 
One thing to note is that in many cases, respiratory infections never completely go away. Here is a thread where people are discussing respiratory infections: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/663225/eureka-on-fighting-a-respiratory-infection
Hope he is feeling better soon! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicknmania View Post

He has a respiratory issue, could be one of many.  He needs to be separated from the others (looks like he is already) and he needs an antibiotic asap.  For the eye, you can use Triple A antibiotic ointment with no pain killer, after first washing the eye with any human eye wash or sterile saline solution..  Even after the eye opens, continue to apply the ointment around the eye, with a q tip or something similar. 

I don't know what's available where you are, but generally you can get Oxytet to mix in his water from most feed mills.  Baytril is excellent, and there are other anitibiotics available too at most feed stores. Tylan is good too, but it's injectable, I've never used it.  I like Oxytet as it works quickly if you start it right away. You generally have to order Baytril on line..all are online and available through different sites. Start with Oxytet if you want, and you can progress to something stronger if you have to. You can also use VetRX if you have any or can get it.  But I think he will need an antibiotic too.

Keep him warm and in a hospital pen.  I like to keep them where they can hear and see the others, but dont have any actual contact. If it's cold where you are though, best to keep him inside.
Update, so we werent able to get a vet, nor antibiotics , we had 4 babies affected by it, all sneezing wheezing bubbly eyes, they are 13-14weeks old, we were told because of the cold weather they were acting like that by another chicken owner, but anyways, we brought them in our heated basement in a dog kennel, And we were able to give chick starter medicated feed, and Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, added to their water. Yesterday morning. Now today , everyone seems top shape, no one i coughing,nor sneezing, their eyes are fine , and they finally eating and drinking again?????????
post #9 of 9
Oh, good, well maybe it is just CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease). Not usually fatal, but can recur. See if you can find Denagard on line. It'sexpensive, but a little goes a long way, and you can use it periodically as a preventative against stuff like that, and still eat the eggs while they are on it. sounds like you dodged. a bullet. smile.png
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
Humankind has not woven the web of life.  We are but one thread within it.  Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.  All things are bound together.  All things connect.

Chief Seattle
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home