Can they be without heat?

Traffie Chickens

Chirping
Apr 20, 2024
Hi everyone! My chicks are 6 weeks old, in our non heated basement and I am currently trying to wean them off heat. I have had the heat lamp pretty far away for a few days, but I don’t know if my chicks will be okay if I take it fully away now? What do you think?
IMG_0977.jpeg

I took heat away about a week and a half before they went outside. We have had cold weather but they snuggled together and snuggle with my 9 year old hen. So far so good at 7 weeks . hope this helps.

I took heat away about a week and a half before they went outside. We have had cold weather but they snuggled together and snuggle with my 9 year old hen. So far so good at 7 weeks . hope this helps.
Yes! How old were that when you took the heat away?

I had chicks just under 5 weeks in the coop at 39F, no heat. Probably could've taken it away even sooner but one's a bit runty and the weather was a little hard to gauge so I played it safer.

lol ..my chicks just turned 1 week and theyre off external heat, depends totally on ambient and where theyre at, it stays almost 80f in the garage overnight .. during the day its way in the 90s, so theyre perfectly fine ..if its getting cold at night still though, id keep them artificially warm to 5weeks or so, at least be sure theyre blocked well from drafts ..

Back
Top Bottom