BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Rhode Island Red or production red ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rhode Island Red or production red ? - Page 2

post #11 of 19

production red  -  with or without corn

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick diva View Post

production red  -  with or without corn
not much of a comb at all
post #13 of 19
Hi guys. I'm somewhat a newbie at chicken raising and I've learned a lot here. I've been seeing this Production Red -vs- RIR business. Now I'm questioning our roo. Some expert advice would be great because we are trying to rehome him. [IMG][IMG][IMG]
post #14 of 19

Also, he's almost 24 weeks.
Just had to add this pic because it's cute. Lol
Edited by Jujubara - 10/9/15 at 6:55am
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
My production red hens have very little comb maybe a pea size comb . What breed of the production red has that kind of comb ? They are 5 months old
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubara View Post

Hi guys. I'm somewhat a newbie at chicken raising and I've learned a lot here. I've been seeing this Production Red -vs- RIR business. Now I'm questioning our roo. Some expert advice would be great because we are trying to rehome him. [IMG][IMG][IMG]

He's a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red. His color is fairly dark but not quite the uniform mahogany of a heritage RIR and his body is not quite as deep as a heritage RIR, but he's a pretty good specimen for a hatchery bird. You can see the differences between him and the heritage RIR rooster in the pic below.

http://readebaker.com/images//Rhode%20Island%20Red.JPG

http://readebaker.com/images//Rhode%20Island%20Red.JPG

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarls22 View Post

My production red hens have very little comb maybe a pea size comb . What breed of the production red has that kind of comb ? They are 5 months old


Since hatcheries are more concerned about egg production than SOP standards, comb inconsistencies (as well as a lot of other inconsistencies) are common with Production Reds.

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael OShay View Post

He's a hatchery quality Rhode Island Red. His color is fairly dark but not quite the uniform mahogany of a heritage RIR and his body is not quite as deep as a heritage RIR, but he's a pretty good specimen for a hatchery bird. You can see the differences between him and the heritage RIR rooster in the pic below.
Rhode%20Island%20Red.JPG
http://readebaker.com/images//Rhode%20Island%20Red.JPG

Thanks, I figured as much. He is pretty and after a short time at being hormonal, he's becoming friendly.
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubara View Post


Thanks, I figured as much. He is pretty and after a short time at being hormonal, he's becoming friendly.


You're welcome.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Rhode Island Red or production red ?