New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First time incubation - Page 2

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken111324 View Post
 


 It is day 18 today and i was wondering what to do about lockdown???? I have no clue please help!!!!!

I would do a last candle and mark the air cells. Lay them with the lowest side (dip) of the air cell facing up so you can see the pips. Stop turning/take turner out. Raise the humidity up. I use 75%. I fill my water wells and add a couple wet sponges to the bator. If you get condensation, cut it back. And then, just wait...and wait...lol

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 

Why do you have to mark the air cells

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post
 

I would do a last candle and mark the air cells. Lay them with the lowest side (dip) of the air cell facing up so you can see the pips. Stop turning/take turner out. Raise the humidity up. I use 75%. I fill my water wells and add a couple wet sponges to the bator. If you get condensation, cut it back. And then, just wait...and wait...lol


Why do you have to mark the air cell

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken111324 View Post
 


Why do you have to mark the air cell

Marking air cells from the beginning lets you keep track of the growth so you know how to adjust humidity. Marking air cells at day 18 helps you know how to lay your eggs down so that when they pip you can see them. Generally, (and there's always a couple that didn't get the memo,) chicks pip in the vicinity of the lowest dip of the air cell. If you mark them you can face that side of the egg up and you will be able to see the pips as they happen. (If you are home to see them...lol)

 

You don't HAVE to, many don't. I'm in the group that does. 

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLynn2374 View Post
 

Marking air cells from the beginning lets you keep track of the growth so you know how to adjust humidity. Marking air cells at day 18 helps you know how to lay your eggs down so that when they pip you can see them. Generally, (and there's always a couple that didn't get the memo,) chicks pip in the vicinity of the lowest dip of the air cell. If you mark them you can face that side of the egg up and you will be able to see the pips as they happen. (If you are home to see them...lol)

 

You don't HAVE to, many don't. I'm in the group that does. 


Ok thanks

 

When i woke up this morning on day 20 i wasnt expecting any chicks. But when i checked the incubator there were 2 hatched. and 2 had pips. By lunch there was another 3 hatched and 3 pips. One was still pipped from this morning. so once there were 7/10 chicks i decided to get them out and then i took the whole round end of the egg of to help the chick. It hatched fine. So today I had 8 chicks out of 10 hatch on day 20. Is this normal and what might have caused this?

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken111324 View Post
 


Ok thanks

 

When i woke up this morning on day 20 i wasnt expecting any chicks. But when i checked the incubator there were 2 hatched. and 2 had pips. By lunch there was another 3 hatched and 3 pips. One was still pipped from this morning. so once there were 7/10 chicks i decided to get them out and then i took the whole round end of the egg of to help the chick. It hatched fine. So today I had 8 chicks out of 10 hatch on day 20. Is this normal and what might have caused this?

That's great!!  It's quite normal. Temps could run the sligtest bit warmer, but I would not make any adjustments. My last two hatches started day 19 all perfectly normal and healthy chicks. Heck both my broodies that just hatced out hatched out on day 20.. Nothing to worry about. Relax and enjoy those little cuties.

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply

Need help incubating/hatching? Are you more a hands on hatcher? Come visit us: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help

A guide to hatching from the hands on perspective: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Incubating & Hatching Eggs