First time incubation

chicken111324

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
I have never hatched eggs in a incubator before because I have always had a broody hen but unfortunately one of my broods left the nest this morning on day 14 which caused me to have to urgently get hold of an incubator. I made one and am now wondering what to do?

It is currently at 39 degrees centigrade

What temp is the ideal temp and do I need to change the temperature during lockdown?

What is the ideal humidity and does it need to change during lockdown?

How do I go about turning the eggs? (When do i need to, until when etc. )

Please help me!!!!!!!

Also she was off them for about 2 hours maybe more until I could heat them up properly are they ruined or do I need to candle them?

She also pooed on them what should i do

Last edited:
I have never hatched eggs in a incubator before because I have always had a broody hen but unfortunately one of my broods left the nest this morning on day 14 which caused me to have to urgently get hold of an incubator. I made one and am now wondering what to do?

It is currently at 39 degrees centigrade

What temp is the ideal temp and do I need to change the temperature during lockdown?

What is the ideal humidity and does it need to change during lockdown?

How do I go about turning the eggs? (When do i need to, until when etc. )

Please help me!!!!!!!

Also she was off them for about 2 hours maybe more until I could heat them up properly are they ruined or do I need to candle them?
Temp depends on kind of incubator still air ( no fan) you want 101-102F (38.33-8.8C) if its forced air (fan) you want 99.5F (37.5C)
Some people adjust down a degree for hatch, many don't.
Humidity. I prefer low humidity the first 17 days and I raise to 75%ish at day 18. I would do between 30-40% till lockdown unless the air cells are real large. You can find more humidity info here:http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity
Turning- most people turn at least 3 times a day until day 18. Eggs do NOT need to be turned after two weeks. I stop turning mine after last turn day 13, so I don't turn from day 14 on.
No, being off them for a couple hours shouldn't have compromised them unless it was freezing/extremely cold.
Hope this helps.

Ok thank you,
It was quite hot as I live in Queensland, Australia so I don't think it would have been a problem.
What do I do about the poo on the eggs.

Ok thank you,
It was quite hot as I live in Queensland, Australia so I don't think it would have been a problem.
What do I do about the poo on the eggs.
Nice, Then they definitely should be ok. Lucky you. (We had about -7C yesterday when I got up...lol)

Scrape off as much as the poo as you can and hope for the best. Many people are against washing as it is said that it removes the natural bloom and at this late in the game I wouldn't be putting anything on them.

Nice, Then they definitely should be ok. Lucky you. (We had about -7C yesterday when I got up...lol)

Scrape off as much as the poo as you can and hope for the best. Many people are against washing as it is said that it removes the natural bloom and at this late in the game I wouldn't be putting anything on them.

I got as much off as i could so
fl.gif
they hatch. Luckily the eggs that are really important are the least pooed on. The incubator is on about 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit all the time now and is a still air incubator (no fan). Is that the right temperature? also as it is a homemade incubator there is a light on them all the time would this affect the eggs at all?

Thankyou for your help

I got as much off as i could so
fl.gif
they hatch. Luckily the eggs that are really important are the least pooed on. The incubator is on about 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit all the time now and is a still air incubator (no fan). Is that the right temperature? also as it is a homemade incubator there is a light on them all the time would this affect the eggs at all?

Thankyou for your help
101.5 is great. Lots of home ade bators use light as the source of heat, so you are ok.

101.5 is great. Lots of home ade bators use light as the source of heat, so you are ok.

Thank you. Also i was just wondering about how you tell if a chick has died in the egg? As she was off them for a while until they were moved to an incubator i want to candle them to check how many survived. Any help would be appreciated.

Also sorry for all the questions.

Thank you. Also i was just wondering about how you tell if a chick has died in the egg? As she was off them for a while until they were moved to an incubator i want to candle them to check how many survived. Any help would be appreciated.

Also sorry for all the questions.
When you candle look for strong veining and any movement in the eggs. At this point I would leave them all in there until after hatch has come and gone. I don't like pulling eggs late in the game because it is harder to tell. Don't be sorry for questions, that's what BYC is here for.

When you candle look for strong veining and any movement in the eggs. At this point I would leave them all in there until after hatch has come and gone. I don't like pulling eggs late in the game because it is harder to tell. Don't be sorry for questions, that's what BYC is here for.

It is day 18 today and i was wondering what to do about lockdown???? I have no clue please help!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom