BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Girl or boy baby maran
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Girl or boy baby maran

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 


10 days old, safe to say roo because of the copper wings? never saw coloring on this young of a bird
post #2 of 9

That's just juvenile feathering. It doesn't mean that chick is male. The male specific dark red shoulders doesn't start to come until about 6 to 8 weeks old.


Edited by junebuggena - 12/16/15 at 4:41pm
post #3 of 9

good to know

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

That's just juvenile feathering. It doesn't mean that chick is male. The male specific dark red shoulders doesn't start to come until about 6 to 8 weeks old.

Wow, just never saw a chick with so much color. so pretty love him/ her. I love my Roos I have 9 grown and about 7 2 months old
post #5 of 9

I agree, that's not male specific coloring. It's not copper as in black copper, either. there's some Wheaton or something else going on genetically to give that color.

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post
 

That's just juvenile feathering. It doesn't mean that chick is male. The male specific dark red shoulders doesn't start to come until about 6 to 8 weeks old.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post
 

I agree, that's not male specific coloring. It's not copper as in black copper, either. there's some Wheaton or something else going on genetically to give that color.

X2 on both of the above posts.

post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post

I agree, that's not male specific coloring. It's not copper as in black copper, either. there's some Wheaton or something else going on genetically to give that color.
Well and he sold me wheaten ameraucanas that def are not that either, so this ought to be interesting. cutie pie at any rate. Note to self stick to reputable breeders
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendychicklawyr View Post


Well and he sold me wheaten ameraucanas that def are not that either, so this ought to be interesting. cutie pie at any rate. Note to self stick to reputable breeders


My understanding is the Wheaton can plague even some really good lines of black coppers. It's a recessive thing and needs to be culled for hard to keep the black line pure. You might want to let the breeder know you got a non-black chick, just for their info for managing their breeders.

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply

Rachel BB

Stem cell transplant from unrelated donor in Feb 2015. Thank you to all my friends here on BYC for all your support during my treatment and ongoing recovery!

Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrae View Post


My understanding is the Wheaton can plague even some really good lines of black coppers. It's a recessive thing and needs to be culled for hard to keep the black line pure. You might want to let the breeder know you got a non-black chick, just for their info for managing their breeders.

Well now I'm wondering if this is the olive egger. I thought he said the little chipmunk face but maybe not.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Girl or boy baby maran