BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › 6 month old hens not laying
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6 month old hens not laying - Page 3

post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Yes, I've heard that - about the hatchery vs feed store. I saw her in the nesting box today and there was another cream/pink egg so now #1 I think she's an Easter Egger #2 I think my Speckled Sussex is still not laying and it's been her this past week or so. LOL! Funny thing is they both have what I would think is a rose comb or pea comb.
Edited by ChickenMama143 - 1/6/16 at 12:13pm
Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post
 

If they are used to being handled, I doubt they are stressed. It might be that their nutritional needs are out of balance from an over-indulgent owner feeding too many goodies to his babies, though.

My son picks up his fav chicken, a Golden Comet, daily and she lays like a champ. I agree with above, might be a food issue.

Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenMama143 View Post

Yes, I've heard that - about the hatchery vs feed store. I saw her in the nesting box today and there was another cream/pink egg so now #1 I think she's an Easter Egger #2 I think my Speckled Sussex is still not laying and it's been her this past week or so. LOL! Funny thing is they both have what I would think is a rose comb or pea comb.

Too many peeps seem to refer to Easter Eggers   LIKE THEY ARE SECOND CLASS HENS..   Unless you are into showing your birds in competition and poultry show contest, Easter eggers  ARE GREAT BIRDS.     I had 3 and each one laid a different color egg.  The inside content of different color eggs TASTES THE SAME TO ME......     I HAVE NO QUARREL WITH HATCHERY, OR FEED STORE CHICKENS.   I only keep chickens as PETS..... :frow  

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavemanrich View Post
 

Too many peeps seem to refer to Easter Eggers   LIKE THEY ARE SECOND CLASS HENS..   Unless you are into showing your birds in competition and poultry show contest, Easter eggers  ARE GREAT BIRDS.     I had 3 and each one laid a different color egg.  The inside content of different color eggs TASTES THE SAME TO ME......     I HAVE NO QUARREL WITH HATCHERY, OR FEED STORE CHICKENS.   I only keep chickens as PETS..... :frow  

No one means for Easter Eggers to come off as second class birds, but they are too often confused with the pure Araucana and Ameraucana breeds. They are not the same things. Easter Eggers have had a lot of things bred into them to boost their production levels, making them a great choice for a backyard flock. But all the crossbreeding has led to birds that are highly unpredictable when it comes to rate of development, laying rate, and temperament, and you can't be sure of blue eggs.

It's not that Easter Eggers are a bad choice, it's just that they aren't Ameraucana. They are something else entirely, and that's okay. 

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebuggena View Post

No one means for Easter Eggers to come off as second class birds, but they are too often confused with the pure Araucana and Ameraucana breeds. They are not the same things. Easter Eggers have had a lot of things bred into them to boost their production levels, making them a great choice for a backyard flock. But all the crossbreeding has led to birds that are highly unpredictable when it comes to rate of development, laying rate, and temperament, and you can't be sure of blue eggs.

It's not that Easter Eggers are a bad choice, it's just that they aren't Ameraucana. They are something else entirely, and that's okay. 

 




Agreed and they are our pets as well. They are healthy and happy girls (other than my cross beak but even she is doing well considering), the non-cross beak just started laying pink/cream eggs which are lovely. I'm disappointed that I was mislead and now will have a hard time knowing what to expect but nothing to stress over.
Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
Mama to two Golden Comet hens, two Easter Egger hens (one scissor beak), one Speckled Sussex hen, two Boston Terriers (one black and white & one red and white), two Betta fish, and two humans! 
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying › 6 month old hens not laying