BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Geese › Pilgrim Geese?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pilgrim Geese?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

I am planning on ordering more chickens this year, and thought about maybe adding a Pilgrim goose to the farm. I already raise ducks and chickens, and I really want a goose! Are Pilgrim geese the friendliest breed? I do not want a aggressive breed towards people, but I do want it to protect my flock. Also, should I get one female or should I get a male and female. Are males more aggressive if a female is around? I'm sorry for all the questions. I plan to do a lot more research on geese.

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Lover 3 View Post
 

I am planning on ordering more chickens this year, and thought about maybe adding a Pilgrim goose to the farm. I already raise ducks and chickens, and I really want a goose! Are Pilgrim geese the friendliest breed? I do not want a aggressive breed towards people, but I do want it to protect my flock. Also, should I get one female or should I get a male and female. Are males more aggressive if a female is around? I'm sorry for all the questions. I plan to do a lot more research on geese.

Geese do much better if they have a buddy of their own kind to hang out with. They really don't protect like attack a predator but they are vocal and sometimes their large size will deter a flying pred from coming in for an attack. But as far as protecting a flock from 4 legged preds not alot they can do they only have their wings and bill and no teeth.

Yes ganders are more aggressive during breeding brooding and hatching and raising so about 2/3 of the year they can be pretty ornery  it's very natural. So unless you want gosling I'd get 2 females. They will get along great and if introduced slowly to your resident flock will get along fine with them.

Pilgrim are a nice breed and so are American

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 


Thank you so much for your reply. I think it would be nice to raise goslings. But, would the gander attack me if I had raised him from a baby. I know how it is to have male animals go a bit crazy during breeding season. I have to deal with a aggressive male goat and duck every year. LOL I'm hoping a gander wouldn't be more than just protective, not chase me across the yard. Do you think two females would be best then?

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Lover 3 View Post
 


Thank you so much for your reply. I think it would be nice to raise goslings. But, would the gander attack me if I had raised him from a baby. I know how it is to have male animals go a bit crazy during breeding season. I have to deal with a aggressive male goat and duck every year. LOL I'm hoping a gander wouldn't be more than just protective, not chase me across the yard. Do you think two females would be best then?

A gander will chase you if you let him.  They are quite a bit more aggressive than say a drake. Not sure on a male goat.  Even raising from a gosling once a gander gets to breeding age they go through a Dr.Jekyll Mr Hyde personality. they can be pretty aggressive. My Toulouse gander going on 2yrs old is all hissy and acts bad but he isn't, now my Embden gander going on 9 yrs old is my aggressive one he would bite me every chance he gets. Depends on breed too but all ganders are going to be protective and obsessive of their mates during breeding season. I don't give my gander a chance to bite me I keep him at a distance, during this time of year. 

So depends on if you want goslings if you do then get a gander and during breeding season just do like the rest of us make sure you know where he is all the time when your out with them  and carry the broom or some kind of pole with you to keep him at arms length. We also have a thread on training them too. One thing you want to know is you never let geese think you are scared of them. You always have to present yourself as confident[a leader] around them.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 


Thank you very much for all your help! I've been asking questions and researching them to make sure I know what I'm doing. I think I'll just start out with females this time, and maybe later on I'll add a gander. :)

Also, would you know of a hatchery where I could order a Pilgrim goose? I usually order birds from Cackle Hatchery, but they don't have the breeds I want. Any suggestions?

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Lover 3 View Post
 


Thank you very much for all your help! I've been asking questions and researching them to make sure I know what I'm doing. I think I'll just start out with females this time, and maybe later on I'll add a gander. :)

Also, would you know of a hatchery where I could order a Pilgrim goose? I usually order birds from Cackle Hatchery, but they don't have the breeds I want. Any suggestions?

Not sure if Metzers has Pilgrim but most water fowl lovers really like Metzers also you could go to your states thread at "where am i where are you" ask there if anyone knows of a Pilgrim breeder in your state Hope you can find some.  Keep us updated. Adding a gander would be fine later because trios usually work out good. 

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 


Yes, Metzers does have Pilgrims! Thanks for all your help! :) Yes, I'll keep you updated!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Geese
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Geese › Pilgrim Geese?