Black Jack Rubr-Coat No. 57 - Page 2
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
Thanks Hokum and Jensownzoo - Good tip!
I bought two gallons from a Tru Value hardware store that was going out of business. The entire store was 80% off so I got them for $3.00 each. Both cans were brand new but I could tell they had been on the shelf for a while, lots of dust. I had both cans shaken and when i got them home I found one of them was basically a solid mass. It was not good, had partially dried out. The other can was fine. I did not look real hard for a date, and due to the store closing and the cost I did not sweat it. I can tell you that even sealed from the factory this stuff can go bad if it sits too long. The liquid had completely separated and was on top and a big hard chunk was under that.
I used the one gallon I had left to coat the floor real good but could not do up the walls like I was hoping to.
I had read a bunch of posts and reviews from people who also found a surprisingly separated mass and liquid in the can when they bought it too. One distributor's website says that this can be a normal occurrence and it may take some effort, but mixing it up is possible. They suggested using a drill bit mixer.
But the dried out part sound like yours might have cracked open a bit too. =/ That stinks. Good thing it was clearance.
Nice! We are also waiting for the rain to stop and we'll be able to put our walls, roof, and base together. They are built, just waiting on weather too. Then I'll be able to try it out as well!
Yeah, I would have preferred to do it all at once as well. Less mess! Events & timing won't allow it however, as I won't be able to touch the coop for the next several weeks. Then I need to get it into operation so I can use the one they are currently using as a Brooder for a couple of Austalorp chicks. The roof will be done while in use.