BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Buff Orpingtons pullet or cockerel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buff Orpingtons pullet or cockerel

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 




My money is on cockerel... What do you guys think... Also will he get along with a LF Cochin cockerel... Originallyl I planned on one male but looks like I might get two... I will have 11 hens (new and old) .. I know roosters can fight and is expected that they will but I heard both these breeds are the sweetest of the breeds; would they fight to the death? Or just spar now and again?


Thanks- Alec
post #2 of 9

cockerel. They will likely get along ok if they have been raised together. Dominance has been established at a young age so the will rarely fight. If they do it will be short "I'm still the boss" spars. With that many hens plenty of room they'll most likely be ok.

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Farms View Post

cockerel. They will likely get along ok if they have been raised together. Dominance has been established at a young age so the will rarely fight. If they do it will be short "I'm still the boss" spars. With that many hens plenty of room they'll most likely be ok.

Yep both are being raised currently. And they will have 10x 40 chicken run + free range.
post #4 of 9

you should have little to no trouble then

post #5 of 9
The hen to rooster ratio is a little off, this has nothing to do with them fighting but they just might rub the feathers off of your hens backs, you should have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brozki View Post

The hen to rooster ratio is a little off, this has nothing to do with them fighting but they just might rub the feathers off of your hens backs, you should have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster

A YouTube video said 1roo to about 4 hens is perfect any more is extra... What do u think with your experience?
post #7 of 9

1R/5 or 6 H. For best fertility.

post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abesinger View Post

A YouTube video said 1roo to about 4 hens is perfect any more is extra... What do u think with your experience?

They may be fine, especially, since they are both pretty calm breeds, but I would just keep an eye out for any feather loss, just in case
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Ok great thanks a bunch!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: What Breed Or Gender is This?
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Chicken Breeds › What Breed Or Gender is This? › Buff Orpingtons pullet or cockerel