BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › is feeding lettuce dangerous . . .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

is feeding lettuce dangerous . . . - Page 3

post #21 of 24
Lettuce is great snacking, but absolutely NO nutritional content whatsoever. Just make sure they aren't eating JUST lettuce... Mustard greens, kale, and collard greens, spinach.... MUCH better for them smile.png
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/990759/chickens-in-permaculture

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1008185/lets-talk-relocation

3rd generation of Colorado ranchers, raising organic alfalfa, corn, Red Angus cattle, Suffolk sheep and of course, chickens! Comitted to a lifetime of health without chemicals, I am entirely dependent on what God has given me to nurture soil, plant, and animal. Sharing...
Reply
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/990759/chickens-in-permaculture

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1008185/lets-talk-relocation

3rd generation of Colorado ranchers, raising organic alfalfa, corn, Red Angus cattle, Suffolk sheep and of course, chickens! Comitted to a lifetime of health without chemicals, I am entirely dependent on what God has given me to nurture soil, plant, and animal. Sharing...
Reply
post #22 of 24
What about old romaine lettuce ? I threw some away and they got it. The top wasn't bad but they bottom of the bag was slimy they left that alone?
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post

Lettuce is great snacking, but absolutely NO nutritional content whatsoever.

It has low (not no) nutritional value due to the fact it's about 96% water, the remaining 4% solid matter is loaded with vitamins, minerals and about 20% protein but few calories... This applies to both common iceburg and romaine lettuces...
Quote:
Originally Posted by newchickincoop View Post

What about old romaine lettuce ? I threw some away and they got it. The top wasn't bad but they bottom of the bag was slimy they left that alone?

It's fine as a treat as long as the birds have sufficient access to grit to help digest it... It should not be a large part of their diet since it's mostly water and thus will fill them up quickly but provide only a very limited amount of nutrition for that full 'tummy' of food...

During the winter months my birds adore fresh greens, they will eat the greens before many of their other treats...
post #24 of 24
Good thanks ! All treats are only occasionally and they are all doing great. Was worried because my dog tipped trash can over and it was a free for all! 😁
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feeding & Watering Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › is feeding lettuce dangerous . . .