Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Production Reds Last post on Today at 11:08 am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 5/21/13 at 11:51am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- Cream Legbar Working Group: Standard of Perfection Last post on Today at 6:40 am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- What does the Game in gamefowl mean? Last post on 10/14/12 at 9:24pm in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
- New Project! NN Sumatras Last post on 5/14/13 at 9:21am in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing
Edited on 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsEdited on 6/27/11
- Japanese BlackEdited on 1/10/12
- Japanese Grey Tail Buff Japanese SultanEdited on 1/10/12
Leghorns are great egg laying chickens. They are friendly to other Leghorns and can easily fly. The only problems is that they are bad in the pecking order and they can make a mess of the yard....
I will start by saying that I love Australorps. In fact, my very favorite hen is an Australorp. She is such a sweet chicken and just let's you walk right up to her to pick her up. She doesn't run...
I couldn't get this thing to stop leaking. I even tested it by putting it on a flat concrete surface and it still leaked out the entire 2 gallons. Tried hanging it, tried sitting it on the...
seem like a good breed, if i had the room i would probably raise a batch of them they seem like they would be a good 4h starter show bird...considering i dont see many of this breed in my class...
its a feed scooper it cant be perfect but over all when every thing is said an done i love mine its great its starting to show a little wear an tear but its to be expected i have had it for 4...
Japanese Bantam Thread!post #2 of 15971/16/10 at 2:06pm
I cannot wait to see this thread grow. One of my Favorite Breeds"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic. But destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country" William Jennings Cross of Gold
Come Join the Java Thread ! http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=292829&p=1"Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic. But destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country" William Jennings Cross of Gold
Come Join the Java Thread ! http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=292829&p=1post #3 of 15971/16/10 at 2:15pm
I have some blacks and black tailed whites and I am working on mille fleur japanese. Don't have a single picture of any of them, lol.BTW Japanese,mille fleur Jap project, corturnix quail, some red chickens I got at TSC, one EE and 2 EE chicks, and some really poor pyncheons, 10 ducks and 2 welsh harlequin ducklings, one pheasant hen, one pheasant chick, one MFC chick, 2 Norwegian Jaerhon chicks.BTW Japanese,mille fleur Jap project, corturnix quail, some red chickens I got at TSC, one EE and 2 EE chicks, and some really poor pyncheons, 10 ducks and 2 welsh harlequin ducklings, one pheasant hen, one pheasant chick, one MFC chick, 2 Norwegian Jaerhon chicks.post #4 of 15971/16/10 at 3:23pm
i love japanese i currently have grey japanese (who i think are pretty nice) and black tailed white japanese (long legged, so not sq). I have a few photos on photobucket ill put up, not the best pics, but you get the idea!
this is my breeding trio
chicks from my breeding trio:
pulletpost #5 of 15971/16/10 at 3:27pm
I have a pair and a trio of mottled Japs from Paul Kroll. Anyone interested in an egg trade?1 DH- 4 kids-3 cats-3 dogs,2 bunnys Large Fowl1 BO ,1 RIRs(SQ),2 Marans,4 Cochins,2 SS,2 EEs,1 BLRW(roo),2 Wyandottes Banties1 NN,2 EEs,5 silkies, 1 Polish frizzle,5 Mottled Japs and a GS
WANT-Chantecler,Barnevelder,Buff Laced Wyandottes and Marans1 DH- 4 kids-3 cats-3 dogs,2 bunnys Large Fowl1 BO ,1 RIRs(SQ),2 Marans,4 Cochins,2 SS,2 EEs,1 BLRW(roo),2 Wyandottes Banties1 NN,2 EEs,5 silkies, 1 Polish frizzle,5 Mottled Japs and a GS
WANT-Chantecler,Barnevelder,Buff Laced Wyandottes and Maranspost #6 of 15971/16/10 at 5:53pm
I am working on Crele Japanese.
Here is one of my pullets, I need to get more pics of the others.post #7 of 15971/16/10 at 6:31pmpost #8 of 15971/16/10 at 6:31pmpost #9 of 15971/16/10 at 7:58pm
Hey, Siz, I have some Paul Kroll Mottled Japanese too! I picked them up at the Ohio National this year. I haven't hatched from them yet. I have some BTW in the hatcher right now, and one from an earlier hatch that thinks its a quail.
So since this is a Japanese thread, let me start the discussion with the lethal short leg gene. I know when I got my first ones from a hatchery, I had no idea that they were "long legged". They looked like short legs to me. And, next to OEGB and Sebrights, they were short legged. Then I saw some real Show Japs and found out what short legs really were. The short leg gene is lethal in a double dose. Short leg x short leg = 25% long leg, 50% short leg and 25% dead in the shell. Short leg x long leg = 50% long and 50% short. So what is short? Lets get some posters with pics of legs. I haven't got any right now, but can put some up in a day or so if we don't have any others. Sometimes the newly hatched with their big yolk bellies have such short legs that they just sort of paddle around and have trouble getting anywhere until some of the yolk is better absorbed. In addition to the lethal gene, many breeders have some problems with fertility. Many pluck or trim the feathers around the vent to make contact easier.
Jen - Buckeyes, and Japanese Bantams (for the most part) Working on a flock of barred Hollands.
Jen - Buckeyes, and Japanese Bantams (for the most part) Working on a flock of barred Hollands.post #10 of 15971/16/10 at 9:47pm
- Japanese Bantam Thread!
- Standard Large Fowl Breeds
- › Paws and Claws (RP) Roleplay 3 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 11 seconds ago
- › North Carolina 13 seconds ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 13 seconds ago
- › April 15th Peafowl egg -Peachick swap discussion 14 seconds ago
- › Hello from the Humid South 24 seconds ago
- › Cochin Thread!!! 39 seconds ago
- › May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies! 39 seconds ago
- › What did your chickens do today? 44 seconds ago
- › long term mite problems on the mend hopefully 55 seconds ago
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by RentaPig311
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill