Most black birds have iridescent feathers. It's not it's own color, it's something that happens to black when light hits it just right. I even have some Barred Rocks that have iridescent black stripes.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemEaster Eggerstagged by BantyChooks, 9/26/15
Related Forum Threads
- Percentages of different breeds in my crosses Last post on 6/25/15 at 7:51am in Random Ramblings
- Contest #7 Most Striking Domestic MALE Fowl Contest 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long! Last post on 5/4/14 at 10:04am in Hatch-A-Longs
- Easter Egger Extravaganza! Ends March 1st! Last post on 3/4/14 at 11:10am in Online Poultry Show
- What Gender are they? : 5 week old- Two EE One BO One BR Last post on 6/9/14 at 9:30am in What Breed Or Gender is This?
- Diffences Between EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas Last post on 9/13/16 at 1:28pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
Double Laced Partridge "House"
Last edited: 5/21/14
- Easter Egger Chicks in My ShedLast edited: 5/14/13
- Easter Eggers Golden By Chicken FrenzieLast edited: 1/10/12
- Easter Eggers Barred Black Olive EggersLast edited: 1/10/12
- Easter Eggers GoldenLast edited: 1/10/12
If ever I had to restrict myself to a single breed to meat all of my meat, egg and "chicken therapy" needs, this would be the one. Not only are my NNs prolific layers of large to jumbo sized...
I love this product. I cannot believe no one has reviewed it yet. I started with the chick version- and moved up to this. While at work all day, I wanted to keep my girls busy. This product is...
I bought one of these when I first got my birds- I have since converted it to an oyster-shell dispenser- works wonderfully for that function in my coop. This past summer, I bought a second one to...
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
Easter Egger club! - Page 682post #6812 of 938711/19/15 at 4:38pmDoes that also apply to brown feathers, too? Abby's feathers aren't black. I used to have an all black serama hen who had the iridescence, but I've never seen it on brown feathers. It's pretty cool to see it. Maybe I'll pick up a rooster that has the iridescence to him and have a flock of sparkly chickenspost #6813 of 938711/19/15 at 4:43pmQuote:Originally Posted by RunningRabbit
Does that also apply to brown feathers, too? Abby's feathers aren't black. I used to have an all black serama hen who had the iridescence, but I've never seen it on brown feathers. It's pretty cool to see it. Maybe I'll pick up a rooster that has the iridescence to him and have a flock of sparkly chickens
Abby has silver partridge type coloring, which means she has a white (silver) base, with black penciling throughout each feather. It's the black in her patterning that has the iridescence.post #6814 of 938711/19/15 at 5:37pmpost #6815 of 938711/19/15 at 5:42pmQuote:
If you get a rooster with a red/gold base color, you will have red sexlinks. The boys will look like their mother, with her black and white feathering. The girls will be red/gold and black.
If you want colorful chicks, avoid solid black, solid white, and barred roosters.post #6816 of 938711/19/15 at 5:47pmpost #6817 of 938711/19/15 at 5:50pmpost #6818 of 938711/19/15 at 5:53pmQuote:
If your goal is to get some silver laced Easter Egger pullets, it's not going to happen using that rooster. Silver is sexlinked. A hen with a silver base color can only pass her silver coloring on to her male chicks. With your rooster and the Silver Laced hens, all the female chicks with be red/gold/buff and all the males with be black and white with some red leakage in the shoulders as they mature.post #6819 of 938711/19/15 at 6:27pmpost #6820 of 938711/20/15 at 5:13am
I'd like to join the EE Club, please? We bought 5 EE at the feed store on May 4th of this year; two white, two black/grey and one all grey - all sexed as pullets . Well. all of you EE caregivers know where this is going...... by early July one of my 'girls' started crowing! I did my research and discovered that in an all hen flock, an alpha may take the role of the 'rooster'. This pullet was the most beautiful of all my girls! "Her" comb was the biggest, her feathers were multicolored and longer than the others - and 'she' was developing little bitty spurs! My poor baby had gone through a sex change! Long story short, we had to give Carmen (now Tom Jones) to a nice neighbor who had a flock of twenty; my four girls were not enough for him . Our four remaining girls are: Iris, cream and lavender; Hawk, black and brown; Hyacinth, beautiful white/cream; and Darth Vader, brown and black who's feathers look green and purple in the sun. Hyacinth's cheek puffs are the most outstanding because of her color, but all four have wonderful muffs and beards! All the chicks have been handled daily since the day we got them; Iris, Hawk and Hyacinth are very friendly, but Vader is a little skittish. Hawk will jump onto your shoulder just to say 'hi'!. Three of my girls started laying at the end of September; Hyacinth hasn't started yet and I assume that she won't until next spring at this point. Now, in late November, I'm lucky to get one egg every few days, most frequently from Hawk, and occasionally from Iris; I know that it will come to a halt, soon. We will not use supplemental lighting, we want the girls to live as naturally as possible. I will post pics. as soon as I'm able. I'm proud to belong to BYC, and even more proud to belong to the EE group!
- Easter Egger Chicks in My Shed
- › Surviving Minnesota! 2 seconds ago
- › how many Eggs you get today 23 seconds ago
- › Cackle Hatchery reviews 1 minute ago
- › Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!! 2 minutes ago
- › BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT. 3 minutes ago
- › Deep compost materiel 3 minutes ago
- › Rooster? 4 minutes ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 4 minutes ago
- › Winter watering 4 minutes ago
- › Araucana thread anyone? 5 minutes ago
- › Naked Neck-turken by DesertChic
- › Resolve Sustainable Solutions Farmer's Helper HotCake Poultry... by KrisCVT
- › Little Giant Hanging Waterer by KrisCVT
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Metro Boston
- › Mia HammAndEggs & her sisters
- › Coq au Vin
- › Most Intelligent Peep🐔🐓🐤 Testing Stats
- › Gramma's No Time To Cook Chicken Chicken
- › Essential Oils and chickens!
- › Tips to Create a Chicken Coop That You and...
- › One little quail chick
- › Clucksville Assignment/Work page (check often)
- › Our Hen House