Okay, these guys are trying to sell you something, but the first page has a decent layman's guide to how the liver does it's job.http://healthfree.com/guide-to-liver-cleansing-detox-1.html
Basically, the gist is that it doesn't store/accumulate toxins--it processes and excretes them. If it is overwhelmed, then the toxin stays in the blood (mostly) until the liver has a chance to deal with it. glib is right in that some fat-soluable toxins do end up trapped in adipose tissues.
Think of it in terms of alcohol. When you indulge, the alcohol (being a toxin
) is first absorbed into the blood by the intestines. The blood passes through the liver where some of it is transformed, but not all of it...which is why you get a "buzz" as the excess alcohol reaches the brain. If you stop imbibing, eventually the liver is able to process all the alcohol in your blood. It doesn't "store" the alcohol within itself.Edited by Jensownzoo - 3/2/16 at 11:09am