Perhaps someone here could help a newbie to turkeys to identify what we have. Heres the facts, i will try to be as clear as possible:
1.We purchased 6 poults from big R, 3 weeks ago
2. Straight run. Mixed breeds, same bin, store had no idea to breed. "We get what they send us"
3. Called Privett, they were hatchery choice and the do not record what is sent.
4. Five appeared to be "bronze", one was best guess chocolate
5. The chocolate was weak and lethargic from time of purchase and died within 24 hours
6. The bronze: two quite small, two fairly big, one in the middle.noticable by first week. All similar markings
7. At week 3, largest is not as active and inquisitive, very little flight attempts, feathers are " messy", and very bare along the sides of the body, and is Big. Seems idk, torpid? Maybe? Eats/drinks/sleeps as usual for the group
8. Mid sized poult has same wild type feather pattern but lighter base? Color . began displaying today, totally cracked us up lol, chest bumps all others.
9. Two smallest have had consistant growth and in all respects appear to be doing great.
10. Brooder began at 99-100 degrees, slowly tapering heat based on behavior.
11. Feeding game bird starter after 1 week of flock raiser as the store was out. They wouldnt eat the dry crumbles do we wet it to mash, worked great! Slowly decreasing the water content to transition to dry food. Clean water at all times, marbles included.
12. Brooder changed daily started on old towels we had been saving for this. Changed to lg shavings at abt 2 weeks.
Sorry for the novel, but we have fallen completely under the spell of these little guys, and we want to make sure we are doing everything we can to help them thrive, but mostly i need to know if i have broad breasted or standard.... If broad some how i must distance myself, knowing they will be dinner.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, i appeciate your help!
Edited by copper2 - 5/2/16 at 5:28am