Turkeys fighting

Sep 3, 2020
My in-laws' Toms have made their way to our yard where we have 3 6-week old turkeys. The two Toms normally get along fine but today are fighting terribly. Do you know of anything we can do? They are free range on our acreage and the babies are inside a fenced pen, but the Toms can fly in.
Thank you.

My in-laws' Toms have made their way to our yard where we have 3 6-week old turkeys. The two Toms normally get along fine but today are fighting terribly. Do you know of anything we can do? They are free range on our acreage and the babies are inside a fenced pen, but the Toms can fly in.
Thank you.
Can you put netting over the top ?

Thank you.
Either separate them permanently or let them work it out. When evenly matched turkeys go after each other the fight can last for days until one becomes the clear winner. It will happen again whenever the loser gains enough confidence to challenge again.

I recommend permanently removing one of the toms. With your 3 poults, you won't have enough turkeys to support two toms.

Either separate them permanently or let them work it out. When evenly matched turkeys go after each other the fight can last for days until one becomes the clear winner. It will happen again whenever the loser gains enough confidence to challenge again.

I recommend permanently removing one of the toms. With your 3 poults, you won't have enough turkeys to support two toms.
Oh, that is terrible! Of the 3 babies I think 2 more are toms.

Unfortunately, I think I'm about to have the same issue with my Bantams. Of the 7, 4 are males and I can't find anyone to trade ir give them to.

Oh, that is terrible! Of the 3 babies I think 2 more are toms.

Unfortunately, I think I'm about to have the same issue with my Bantams. Of the 7, 4 are males and I can't find anyone to trade ir give them to.
tom or jakes have a lot more meat than a bantam . you should be able to sell the turkeys. especially around thanksgiving if you don't want to do the deed yourself

If you choose the fight it out method just know they can potentially kill each other. My friend lost a gorgeous Sweetgrass yearling Tom to his older Tom a couple of weeks ago. The younger Tom "got too big for his britches" and was trying to mate the older and dominant Tom's hens. They fought it out and the younger Tom was killed. Not sure if it was exhaustion, or heat or just brutally being beaten that finally killed the Tom. But know that it happens.

I personally don't have any experience with Toms fighting anything other than ME historically! Lol. But if I had two that were duking it out and I didn't want them seriously injured or killed I would separate them. Same with our chickens.

If you choose the fight it out method just know they can potentially kill each other. My friend lost a gorgeous Sweetgrass yearling Tom to his older Tom a couple of weeks ago. The younger Tom "got too big for his britches" and was trying to mate the older and dominant Tom's hens. They fought it out and the younger Tom was killed. Not sure if it was exhaustion, or heat or just brutally being beaten that finally killed the Tom. But know that it happens.

I personally don't have any experience with Toms fighting anything other than ME historically! Lol. But if I had two that were duking it out and I didn't want them seriously injured or killed I would separate them. Same with our chickens.
They have finally gone home. My mother-in-law said the one was fluffed up and proud and the other looked defeated but neither looked too worse for wear.

Since they're free range do you have any suggestions on separating them?

Back
Top Bottom