¡¿Help, How do I match a chicken with an egg?!

Tyrovive

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2014
North Florida
I have 4 chickens but only get 1-3 eggs a day. There is one that I suspected was a rooster for awhile but never has crowed. They are all just over a year old and the eggs are different in size and shape. I think one is slacking. :) Anyway I can tell which lay? Other than sitting out there all night and besides putting a camera in the coop? Ideas?

You have to keep checking throughout the day. Whoever is in there sitting laid the egg. Especially if she just got off the nest and one of the eggs is very warm.
I have one Easter Egger that’s about 10-11 months old that hasn’t laid a single egg.
I call her my dud. It’s okay though because mine are basically pets too.
The other Easter Egger I bought from the same feed store lays a brown egg.
That store needs to source better breeders for their chicks.

Not every hen lays eggs.

The is a way to check by measuring the distance between the laying bones (sorry don't know if that is a proper English word). There is an article written on that.

If you check the nesting boxes every hour for a few days, you can see who is laying an egg. And you learn what color/size egg belongs to which chicken.

I think i read somewhere that the color of the feathers around a chickens ear match the color of the eggs they lay?
Anyone else ever hear this?

The colors of the feathers do not always match. Its more often the breed that gives a certain color. E.g. I have black Dutch that lay creamy white eggs in the same colour as the pyle and the lavender Dutch.

Earlobe color does say something. But there are just 2 colors. If you have 2 chickens.: one with white and one with red earlobes, you can be sure the one with white earlobes lays white or light creamy eggs. The brown eggs are from the one with red earlobes.

But there is more. Marans lay dark brown eggs. And leghorns lay really white eggs. Auracana and Americauna lay blue eggs.

Easter eggers lay coloured eggs, e.g. light blue or green eggs. Olive eggers lay olive coloured eggs. But with offspring you cant be sure cause they are mix breeds.

And bantams lay smaller eggs as the bigger chickens. Pullets lay smaller eggs as the older hen of the same breed.

Last edited:
I have 4 chickens but only get 1-3 eggs a day. There is one that I suspected was a rooster for awhile but never has crowed. They are all just over a year old and the eggs are different in size and shape. I think one is slacking. :) Anyway I can tell which lay? Other than sitting out there all night and besides putting a camera in the coop? Ideas?
Not all birds lay every day.
Size and shape can help, but some are so similar that doesn't always work.

The is a way to check by measuring the distance between the laying bones (sorry don't know if that is a proper English word). There is an article written on that.
Pelvic bones.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Hens lay during the day so you won't need to sit up all night !
Yep, stalking the nests all day to 'catch them in the act' is the only sure fire way to know who is laying what. Cameras might work too.

I think i read somewhere that the color of the feathers around a chickens ear match the color of the eggs they lay?
Anyone else ever hear this?
You may be thinking about earlobe color...and it's not accurate.
Except leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs.
1580743166484.png

There is one that I suspected was a rooster for awhile but never has crowed.
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I have a hen that crows on occasion while my friend has a rooster that didn't crow until a year and half old and a bunch of her older hens also sport long spurs. :eek:

Post pics... saddle feathers don't lie in *most* breeds. I'm betting hen though!:pop
1580743884932.png

I have also heard of folks using food dye of different colors and dropping into the vent... which should smear some on the egg as it's laid. While many will warn not to used red to prevent pecking by other birds.... I contend, the vent is already red and covered by feathers.

The other Easter Egger I bought from the same feed store lays a brown egg.
That store needs to source better breeders for their chicks.
Most all feed stores order from hatcheries... you can ask which one they use.

FWIW... many colored layers will NOT lay eggs every day as the darker the color the longer it takes to apply the coating. They can only lay as many eggs as their genetics allow... for most Ameraucana (just as an example)... that will be 3-4 eggs per week... which can be diminished further by parasites, nutrition, predator visits, over crowding, excessive heat, etc.

Back
Top Bottom