⊰• BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS •⊱ A Fantasy/Adventure RP

Faolan stared at Alexis for a moment, how could see not know about Sióg valley, and the Forest of Sciatháin? How could anyone not know of them! "But..." He looked to the other two, hoping beyond hope that they'd know, "You've heard of them, right? Please tell me you have, Piper, Hannes?"

Hannes just shrugged gruffly and reached into his pocket for his pipe. The names were unfamiliar to him but he didn't particularly care, as far as he was concerned Faolan was just a crazy man who had too much moonshine.

--

Piper, however, was intrigued. Her youthful curiosity was sparked, but she could offer no words of reassurance to Faolan. "Sorry Faolan. Wherever those places are, we have not heard of them. They are not near here." She wondered if he had simply gotten confused for some reason, and mixed up a dream or book with reality. "Right now you are closest to the town of Enden, but tell us, how did you end up in the river? Seems an odd time of year to go swimming..."

Faolan was about to explain to them about the war between the kingdom of Gaoithe that stretched along the mountains, and Laochra, the kingdom to the far north that were bent on the invasion of the lowlands. But, if they really had no idea of the places he had already spoken of, it would be pointless to go into any details, there was something wrong with these people. Or maybe...

"First, let me ask you, is there a curse on this town of Enden and its inhabitance?" Faolan asked as if this was a completely normal thing to ask, it was the only explanation he could think. But he back tracked quickly, just making his question sound crazier, well, not to him, "Never mind, you wouldn't know if you were either way, but is there a witch or warlock in the town?"

Piper giggled at his question of witches and warlocks, her mind instantly thinking of the comical characters in stories that her Mother used to tell her. "Well, not particularly. Unless you count him," she tried to gesture to Hannes without him noticing, as he was partly faced away from them and out of the wind trying to light his pipe. "He's got a huge wart on his neck you know, but he'll never admit it. And sometimes he stays in his house for days at a time without coming out!"

--

Hannes coughed as he inhaled a strong whiff of smoke when the pipe finally lighted. "Hey, you talkin' bout me?" He turned around and glared at Piper. "I have no warts of any kind... anywhere!"

Alexis shook her head, watching the man curiously. "Witches and warlock and curses are just fairy tales. Did you hit your head or something?" She asked, the only explanation she could think of without calling the man drunk. He didn't act drunk, beyond the strange places and things he was talking about, but still.

Faolan smiled and snorted derisively at Piper's teasing of Hannes, being that it was all too obvious the man was no warlock. Magic was one of those things that was hard to hide, it emanated from a person if they used it often as a witch or warlock does, and was almost palpable in the vicinity of a person when they were as powerful as a sorcerer or sorceress. But when Alexis said, 'Witches and warlock and curses are just fairy tales', his smile vanished, replaced by a look that clearly showed how seriously he took the matter. "Fairy tales?!" Faolan exclaimed, "They are no fairy tales, have you lived in a hole your whole life? Because there is magic all around." He gestured vigorously to what he spoke of as he continued, "There's fairies in the trees, and there's nixes in the river, and I'll bet you there's a gnome living under those tree roots!" But of course, being in the lowlands, there were no such things.

Alexis had to turn to calm her horse. She had moved back from Faolin at his sudden movements. Alexis looked back to him once the mare was calm again and shook her head "Only in stories, none of that is real." She stated, using a no nonsense tone "Now calm down before you hurt yourself" She was growing more concerned for his mental health the longer he spoke on the subject

"Maybe you should see the town doctor?" Piper suggested. "He's got all sorts of fancy bottles in his house, there must be one in there that would help you. One time ol' Richie thought he seen his dead cow out in the fields and doc fixed him up no problem."

--

"Richie never saw anything after that." Hannes scoffed. "He was blind as a bat! I wouldn't go within a hundred feet of that house if I wasn't feelin' well."

"I don't need a doctor, I've never been to a doctor and never will," Faolan replied with a slow sake of his head, "If I needed anything it'd be a healer I'd go to, and the only thing I'd need one for at this time would be my arm." He looked to Alexis then, his tone slightly brisk, "My apologies, miss, but I'm right. It's not that I'm seein' things, it's that you're not, and that's strange in and of its self."

Alexis shook her head as she looked to the man "No" She frowned and glanced to her horse then back to him "The things and places you are speaking about do not exist in the lowlands, they never have and they never will" She stated then looked to Piper and Hannes and back to him

(Would they call them the lowlands or not?)

Back
Top Bottom