⊰• BEYOND THE MOUNTAINS •⊱ A Fantasy/Adventure RP

"Thank you, but I have to go. My father is expecting me" Alexis said then looked to Faolin then to Piper. "I will be back later" She said then turned to leave so she could take her mare home and talk to her father

"Good morning, Fern." Faolan said with a slightly uncomfortable smile, unsure of what to do, especially after her grandmother's loud reply that was obviously supposed to be kept quiet. He looked to Alexis at her words, "See you then." Faolan replied as she walked away, looking back to Piper and her grandmother as Alexis left the house, unsure as to what he should do, his eyelids were starting to feel heavy.

Last edited:
"Grandmother, is there any breakfast left?" Piper grabbed a clay bowl that was resting on a makeshift counter and peered into a heavy iron pot hung across the fire.

"Yes, yes... go ahead and take some. Here, Faolan you said your name was?" Fern put her hand behind his back and ushered him over to the bench she had been sitting on. "Here, please, take a seat. Take the blanket and try to get warm, you'll probably want to get out of those wet clothes." She gestured to the blanket that was draped over the bench as Piper brought over the steaming bowl of porridge.

"Here," she told him as she passed him the bowl and a spoon. "This will help you warm up."

"Yes, that's right," Faolan replied to Fern softly as he sat at their insistence, gratefully accepting the porridge Piper handed him, it's heat seeping through the bowl into his sore hands. Through his stomach was burning with hunger and wanted to shovel the porridge down as fast as he could, he restrained himself. The first spoonful made him realize just how cold he had gotten as it warmed his core on its way down, a slight shiver running down his spine as it did.

Faolan was not accustomed to the idea of complete strangers helping one and other out of the goodness of their hearts, things like that were rarely done in the highlands, most only looked out for their own. "Thank you both," He said after his second spoonful of porridge, slowly warming from the inside.

---

"I told you, Alfie, somethin's going on!" A young girl who looked about eleven, with shoulder length, wildly curly, strangely red hair; suspicious gray eyes and a heavily freckled, dirty face whispered to the almost identical looking boy beside her. They both peered over the edge of the thatched roof they were perched atop, across and a few houses down from Piper and her grandmothers home.

"I never said there wasn't!" Alfie answered in the same low whisper, though his was more out of annoyance than out of secrecy, blowing his unkempt, fiery curls out of his eyes with a huff of exasperation at Callie, his twin's comment.

Callie ignored Alfie as she slid lower on the thatch as to not be spotted, eyes following the blacksmith's daughter as she walked passed, leading the horse that she had let the stranger ride. But Alfie, being Alfie, pulled out one of the many small stones from the leather bag trapped to his hip, and set it neatly in his well-loved leather sling.

"Alfie, no!" Callie hissed, but too late. Alfie slung the sling above his head twice and let fly, sending the stone hurling straight for the mare's rump, then ducking down behind the thatch with a sneer.

Alexis was nearly knocked off her feet as Belladonna suddenly bucked then reared at the rock that stung her flank. Alexis moved with the mare, speaking calmly as they moved around the street. After a minute she had calmed the mare then she took the time to glance around the area to see what had startled the usually calm mare into those antics. "Easy girl, easy" She said, petting the mare then she turned to go the rest of the way home, watching her surroundings better than she had been before.

"You alright there, Miss O'Shea?" Farris Woodman, the butcher's son, asked Alexis from a few yards away where he was walking out from an alley between two houses, coming from the general direction that the mare had spooked away from. He was muscular, and quite tall for being only 14, with a large, gutted hog draped over his broad shoulders. His russet curls and handsome face were flecked with blood, though his brown waistcoat, white undershirt and hands had faired much worries. Butchering was a messy business.

Alexis looked to Ferris then quickly back to the mare. "Yes, she just got spooked by something" She said and pet the mare's forehead. A flicker of suspicion rose, but she dismissed it. Ferris wouldn't have any reason to spook the mare, not even in play or to get her attention. She easily dismissed the small doubt and glanced back to him again "How are you today?" She asked and gave him a smile.

Farris returned her smile with a lop lidded one of his own, "I'm just fine, well, as fine as you can be when you're butchering hogs. It might have been the scent of all the blood and stuff that spooked your girl there." He replied jovially, but looked up sharply to the roof top a few houses down as giggles came clearly from there.

"You two!" Farris barked with a scowl, "Get down here right now and apologize!"

The giggles were quickly stifled, and the sounds of them sliding down the thatch to the ground could be heard.

Farris sighed and looked back to Alexis, "My siblings, Callie and Alfie, the little twin twits. They like to hit passers with stones, I'm so sorry about them."

Farris returned her smile with a lop lidded one of his own, "I'm just fine, well, as fine as you can be when you're butchering hogs. It might have been the scent of all the blood and stuff that spooked your girl there." He replied jovially, but looked up sharply to the roof top a few houses down as giggles came clearly from there.

"You two!" Farris barked with a scowl, "Get down here right now and apologize!"

The giggles were quickly stifled, and the sounds of them sliding down the thatch to the ground could be heard.

Farris sighed and looked back to Alexis, "My siblings, Callie and Alfie, the little twin twits. They like to hit passers with stones, I'm so sorry about them."
Alexis kept one hand on the mare's muzzle to keep her still when the twins came out. She raised an eyebrow and waited for them to speak. (sorry *shrugs*)

((No problem.))

Callie dragged the toe of her scuffed leather shoe in the soil, eyes averted from Alexis', but Alfie stared Alexis down with his skinny arms crossed defiantly.

"Alfie, Callie, apologize to her." Farris said sternly, hoisting the hog a little higher on his shoulders so that he wouldn't lose hold.

"I'm very sorry for what Alfie did, I tried to stop him." Callie muttered, disgruntled by being taught, but not wanting to get in more trouble for not apologizing at all.

Alfie sent a poisonous look Callie's way but refrained from retorting, instead looking to Alexis, "I'm sorry." He said stubbornly, but at the look Farris gave him, he continued, "I'm sorry for hitting your horse with a rock."

Back
Top Bottom