❗️SICK CHICK❗️PLEASE HELP!!

Cottage Goblin

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2022
We just picked up 4 new girls but our Americana chick is acting very ill. She ate when she first got home but a few hours later and she won't eat or drink as far as I can tell. She also has a poopy vent (which I just cleaned off) and is not wanting to lay down and will try and be as upright as possible at times. She is still chirping but seems weak. Some of her hatch mates arrived dead to the store we got her from. I'm really worried we are going to loose her at only a few days old.

Have you tried feeding her some egg yolk? I also suggest getting some electrolytes in her or sugar water, I believe it’s one tsp per cup of water. Also, if you have nutridrench, rooster booster, or I think it’s called poultry cell or something, try giving some of that to the chick, if you don’t have any of those I suggest possibly getting one from tractor supply or a feed store. Can you post a picture of the chick? Good luck, keep me posted.

20230226_183341.jpg
She is leaning on anything/anyone that will keep her upright. She is clearly VERY tired but won't lay down. I will try the egg yolk tip

View attachment 3416818full brooder (I have a lif over it that has chicken wire for safety and ventilation)
They are huddled under the heat lamp which means they are cold. Do you have a smaller waterer? They need to be able to escape the heat and they will need more space sooner than later. I would move the heat lamp a little lower if you can and get a smaller water so they have more space on the cool side of the coop. Heat lamps are tricky because you have to observe their behavior to make sure they are comfortable.

They are huddled under the heat lamp which means they are cold. Do you have a smaller waterer? They need to be able to escape the heat and they will need more space sooner than later. I would move the heat lamp a little lower if you can and get a smaller water so they have more space on the cool side of the coop. Heat lamps are tricky because you have to observe their behavior to make sure they are comfortable.
They were only huddled in that one picture. Currently they are spread out. I will try and get a smaller waterer and a bigger brooder soon.

T

That brooder looks awfully small, what is the temperature at the floor of the brooder?
It may have pasty butt? High temperatures can cause it!
They will be getting a smaller waterer and a bigger brooder soon but they only came home a few hours ago so I think it may be something else. However, I will try and get things figured out in the long run. It is hard because all of my past supplies got thrown away

Back
Top Bottom