➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Eggs 2 and 3 never did unzip. The silly things seemed to be trying to skip that part. All day they just pushed and strained against the single hole for a minute or two and then sleep for an hour. Repeat, repeat... I finally gave up tonight and did my best for an external “unzip”, and then let them struggle their way out from there. The last one finally managed it just a few minutes ago. Either that or his sibling walking across his face over and over gradually worked him out. :confused: He’s flopped over asleep for now. Can’t say I blame him. :hmm
If they hadn’t been trying so hard I wouldn’t have intervened. We’ll see if they survive...:fl though the middle baby is pretty perky...

My first black leghorn chick has hatched, must be a boy because it's a soooo noisy!!! There's a second pipper in there too. The Janoel definitely has hot spots, I try move them around the bator during incubation, but whatever :confused: It's only day 20 for them.

I think I need a new plan.. these birds with their growing new feathers and dropping tickly ones is not working for me.

And.. I did actually dispatch &feed my dogs guinea pig.. every second day, for a week. The boys both have hot spots on their feet :barnie cue 2 weeks of antihistamines and antiseptic powder :barnie

Maybe it's time to move on to rabbits :th
What does hot spot on the feet mean? Feet of what?
I'm lost again.:oops:

Last edited:
Hot spots on the feet of her dogs means they are having an allergic reaction. She posted before about trying to find alternative meat types for them because they were reacting to what she was feeding them previously.
I wasn't awake.
Ah! Those kind of hot spots....duh.

I was reading 'The boys' and the quail boys for some reason and not the dogs. :oops:

Thanks Sara!

99% sure that baby #3 won’t make it. He never fluffed out in spite of drying off, and he’s got no energy. :( So either I took too long to intervene, or he is naturally weak. :hmm
Baby #2 made it through the night and is back to squeaking a lot. :rolleyes:
Baby #1 has pretty much stopped squeaking and he runs around the brooder like a pro. He kept pecking at #2’s eyes last night, so I had to separate them until we could turn out the lights :rolleyes:

Eggs are in lockdown. Not happy with my quail fertility. Started with 28 eggs from 3 different breeding pens. Lockdown only 6, 1 from group a and 5 from group b. The rest were infertile or early quitters, haven't opened them yet to be sure. Only 1 button egg made it too. Chickens on the other hand, have 17 left from my folks flock and 9 from my group. Kilo is gonna be a dad!

Turkey eggs got moved to the other incubator, they still look good to me. Candled the quail eggs there and now I'm left with I think 12 of mine, I forgot to write down the number. But all 5 from @CoturnixComplex show veining!

Eggs are in lockdown. Not happy with my quail fertility. Started with 28 eggs from 3 different breeding pens. Lockdown only 6, 1 from group a and 5 from group b. The rest were infertile or early quitters, haven't opened them yet to be sure. Only 1 button egg made it too. Chickens on the other hand, have 17 left from my folks flock and 9 from my group. Kilo is gonna be a dad!

Turkey eggs got moved to the other incubator, they still look good to me. Candled the quail eggs there and now I'm left with I think 12 of mine, I forgot to write down the number. But all 5 from @CoturnixComplex show veining!

That was true the first go around with all my breeding groups. Certain males weren't breeding, certain ones found monogamy restrictive :rolleyes:, certain females seemed to have eggs that weren't shaped nicely for easy hatches, etc. Now I know who is a sure deal or not and it's a lot easier.

I think when I set five eggs from the same pair I gave you all five started developing but two quit. I'm glad they're doing well so far! Hopefully they all keep it up :fl

My first black leghorn chick has hatched, must be a boy because it's a soooo noisy!!! There's a second pipper in there too. The Janoel definitely has hot spots, I try move them around the bator during incubation, but whatever :confused: It's only day 20 for them.

I think I need a new plan.. these birds with their growing new feathers and dropping tickly ones is not working for me.

And.. I did actually dispatch &feed my dogs guinea pig.. every second day, for a week. The boys both have hot spots on their feet :barnie cue 2 weeks of antihistamines and antiseptic powder :barnie

Maybe it's time to move on to rabbits :th
My german shorthair pointer is allergic to beef, pork, corn, and flaxseed and a couple more weird things. I had a blood sample of his taken at the vet to figure out what was wrong and they sent it off for testing. He has diarrhea if he eats them. But it’s easier now that I know what causes it and how to avoid it.

Sara's going to be drowning in tiny peepers :wee

Sorry about #3 shortchick :hugs

Yeah sorry Kiki, I talk in tongues sometimes! It's open red sores in between doggies toes, very ouchy. Special dogs for a special human :lau

That Nutriscan test (saliva test) is really good CayugaJana, it has saved me feeding them a bunch of stuff that would have ended badly :barnie

Sara's going to be drowning in tiny peepers :wee

Sorry about #3 shortchick :hugs

Yeah sorry Kiki, I talk in tongues sometimes! It's open red sores in between doggies toes, very ouchy. Special dogs for a special human :lau

That Nutriscan test (saliva test) is really good CayugaJana, it has saved me feeding them a bunch of stuff that would have ended badly :barnie
Maybe he has a bacteria infection.
I say this because a few years back one of my dogs got itchy.
It took a few trips to the vet and a few blood tests to figure out that it was a bacteria infection in his blood that was causing the itching.
It also took 2 or 3 different antibiotics to treat it and ever since he has been non itchy.

Back
Top Bottom