➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

OH...and I got a piece of plywood cut and installed to cover the bottom of the quail cage for now so they don't fall through the wire floor.

I still can't think of what I am going to put down in it to collect poop.
I am changing paper towels hourly right now.
Notary putting a piece of 1/4 inch grid wire over the wire already in place. Their little poops will quickly go thru to your catch tray. Your biggest mess to clean up will be the water container.

How do you keep track of all your hatching stuffs?
Pen and paper?
I use a college note book for keeping records.

How I feel, in song form.
Grew up with Harry Bellefonte music....my mom loved his music. I have several of his CDs.

Still catching up.

I've been taking the ducklings outside (consistently) for the last week or so. The chickens still show interest in them every time I do, mostly because they're trying to see what they are "eating" (the gluttons!), but aren't "hovering" like they used to. Is this a sign of acceptance, or at least ambivalence? The other day one of the pullets thought it was a good idea to try and perch up on the hardware cloth.
IMG_3325.JPG

I was surprised it hadn't happened before now. Well, then another pullet decided that was a great idea. Then the weight of the 2 sent them tumbling inside with the ducks. They completely ignored the ducks and just went to grazing on some feed that spilled. And the ducks completely ignored the chicks. How long should I wait to try introducing them without the fencing? Supervised of course. I still wouldn't leave then out alone right now. They are way too little yet. Altho they are growing! They were tuckered out after being outside for a couple hours yesterday and then bathtime afterwards.
IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

I lifted the top so I could get a better pic, instead of it being thru the wire. They were trying to dog pile. The Pekin are really losing a lot of their yellow. The Rouen are getting in lighter brown feathers.

I've been taking the ducklings outside (consistently) for the last week or so. The chickens still show interest in them every time I do, mostly because they're trying to see what they are "eating" (the gluttons!), but aren't "hovering" like they used to. Is this a sign of acceptance, or at least ambivalence? The other day one of the pullets thought it was a good idea to try and perch up on the hardware cloth.
View attachment 1503820
I was surprised it hadn't happened before now. Well, then another pullet decided that was a great idea. Then the weight of the 2 sent them tumbling inside with the ducks. They completely ignored the ducks and just went to grazing on some feed that spilled. And the ducks completely ignored the chicks. How long should I wait to try introducing them without the fencing? Supervised of course. I still wouldn't leave then out alone right now. They are way too little yet. Altho they are growing! They were tuckered out after being outside for a couple hours yesterday and then bathtime afterwards.
View attachment 1503830
View attachment 1503832
I lifted the top so I could get a better pic, instead of it being thru the wire. They were trying to dog pile. The Pekin are really losing a lot of their yellow. The Rouen are getting in lighter brown feathers.
It all depends on how you feel the pullets will interact with them. How old are the ducklings?

It all depends on how you feel the pullets will interact with them. How old are the ducklings?

They are only 3 weeks old. Honestly, I'm more worried about the hassle of rounding them up once I set them "free". It's a big fenced in yard haha. I will probably give it a little more time and maybe do a test run when my DH is home so I can have an extra pair of hands to help.

Some of them could be simply translation problems. They just pick a name because they like how l it sounds and don't realize what it actually means.Sometimes people are just dumb.
Lol
I mean who spells a name like shithead but pronouces it different. That is just nuts.
lol I gotcha!!!:lau I thought you meant sinead bahahaahaa!:gig Yes, shithead!!! I mean come on mom and dad! Do you think maybe English was their second language and they weren't familiar with slang? Reaching here, but maybe.
One of my students was Mary Vagina because her mother liked the word the nurse used when she delivered during the Christmas season. The nurse talked her out of Merry fortunately. Hubby knew her later a "Baby V" as one of the prostitutes arrested in the downtown district.
Other students who went thru my inner city 5th grade center were Formeca Dynetta R...., Sky Blue Cloud, Candy Crumb, Imhard Wood, Pa-Jamah N... I was told by the school counselor that often non-English speaking parents would like the sound of words in the newspapers (ads, sports pages) or a song they heard. And someone would phonetically spell the name.

Let's pretend I have 7 female and 6 males.
How many males need to go and at about what age? Will I know/be able to tell when it's time?
When the males get their peach colored breast feathers, begin chasing the girls and/or begin alarm vocalizations.

Since you have several colors, keeping a pair of each color would be fun.

Crow! What?:barnie
Look up Coturnix quail....there should be an audio file of the Co-trrr-nix call of the males. Kind of cute.

Let's say I had too much rum...
Then let's say I think I want an incubator...
Then let's say I could get quail eggs from a very attractive insane person...
Who may or may not be named Kiki...

What brand do I need to research?
What flavor rum goes best with an incubator?
If I'm really good, would Santa and his extremely lovely wife send one to me?
I'm counting on you, Batty!
I have and LG I use as a hatcher, icu brooder. I have three Hovabators too. Love both. Be sure to get replacement water reservoirs. You can change one out quickly for a new hatch. Then clean and sterilize the used one to use again later. Also a replacement motor for your egg turner is helpful. Got most all my hatching "stuff" from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom