➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

It only takes one mosquito.
Yep. Being in Texas and not having him and Venus on preventative makes me feel like the biggest idiot ever..especially being pre-vet because I know the importance of it.

Even where the deep freezes happen I would still recommend being on a preventative year round. Like everyone says, it’s easy to prevent, hard to treat.

Yes all of our dogs have to be tested now, even with the bullies having had preventative before (missed three months due to the move and other craziness). If they come back positive then they all get treatment.

I should add, that it can take up to 6 months for the test to finally show up positive so even if a dog tests negative now, they still need to be monitored if around a heartworm positive dog.

Hopefully the others don’t have it!! :fl

It only takes one mosquito.

Hmm that’s true and I guess it’s possible one could live inside for a while but I’ve never even seen one alive past like mid fall. :confused:

Hmm that’s true and I guess it’s possible one could live inside for a while but I’ve never even seen one alive past like mid fall. :confused:
If you don’t do it year round, it’s recommended that you start a month before and end a month after the mosquito season/frost.
Prevention is easy and relatively cheap. Treatment costs an arm and a leg and is very hard on their bodies.
Especially since you have Luna. There’s no treatment for cats like there is for dogs.

Last edited:
Yep. Being in Texas and not having him and Venus on preventative makes me feel like the biggest idiot ever..especially being pre-vet because I know the importance of it.

Even where the deep freezes happen I would still recommend being on a preventative year round. Like everyone says, it’s easy to prevent, hard to treat.

Aww no, you’re not an idiot! It was a a mistake, you had so much going on with the move and everything, it’s easy to miss a month or two. Totally understandable!! :hugs

That makes sense and also I should note that for a while when we had Gator we did have him on it in the winter but it still doesn’t really make sense to me because there’s literally no way any mosquitoes would survive that, even inside they have very short lifespans, and I think it also takes a certain number of days above like 57 degrees for it to even be possible to transmit it?? The only time we really have those temps is a couple months in the summer.

But I guess it’s probably smarter to be on it year round. Idk.

But for Gator it was also very very expensive because he was around 140 pounds, a little higher towards the end of his life when he got a bit chunky and a little lower when he was young and before he filled out, so we used to have to buy multiple packs because he was well over the 100 lb weight limit for the pills, had to get that one and the 30 lb one, so it added up to quite a lot.

But I guess the preventative is probably still cheaper. Idk.

Luckily he never got them.

If you don’t do it year round, it’s recommended that you start a month before and end a month after the mosquito season/frost.
Prevention is easy and relatively cheap. Treatment costs and arm and a leg and is very hard on their bodies.
Especially since you have Luna. There’s no treatment for cats like there is for dogs.

I never thought of that but that is an excellent idea. I think I’m gonna start doing that.

I think I should definitely start Luna on heartworm preventative. I didn’t realize there wasn’t a cure for cats and I would feel awful if something happened to her :hit :oops:

For her, the treatment probably really would be cheap. For Gator, it was really expensive cause he was so big but for Luna it’s probably a hell of a lot cheaper than my Netflix and Dropbox. :oops:

Of course my parents will probably argue that she’s 9 years old and has never had heartworm or any other issue, our previous cat never had issues, Gator never had issues (my dad eventually stopped buying it I think cause of the cost and he’s “fine”/“healthy as a horse”), and is therefore not necessary, but I don’t want to be like that. I’d rather be safe than sorry. So I think I’m going to talk to the vet next time we go in.

Maybe specifically make an appointment soon to get her some.

She actually has to go in soon anyway for something else so maybe when I make that appointment I will ask about preventative.

Yes, that's what we do. Definitely not a thing you want to be caught with your pants down about.

Even you do it in the North Pole!? :eek:

Seems I should definitely get her on it then! :oops:

I honestly just really never thought of it much before because my parents have never really given it and we’ve never had any issues so it was never really on my mind. Or when it was, it was always about the dog, never even thought about Luna. :oops:

But that’s definitely gonna change. Don’t want that sweet little kitty dying cause of my ignorance :hit

I wish it was possible to just keep her inside but that will never happen as long as we’re still living with my parents. :rolleyes:

So honestly better just keep her safe.

Of course. If there's mosquitoes, there's a risk, and trust me, we have PLENTY of mosquitoes.

Hmm, that makes sense!! Do you have a lot of water and/or woods near you or something??

Also.... I know this is probably going to seem like a really stupid question and I’m not at all asking it because I don’t want to give the preventative or anything.... just curious... but Luna is very fluffy and long haired, could a mosquito even bite her? I guess they could bite her ears maybe??

I am going to ask about the preventative. I wonder if I could order it online?

I know one time they tried to sell us Revolution and that stuff was pretty pricey but maybe it’s a good idea??

I never thought of that but that is an excellent idea. I think I’m gonna start doing that.

I think I should definitely start Luna on heartworm preventative. I didn’t realize there wasn’t a cure for cats and I would feel awful if something happened to her :hit :oops:

For her, the treatment probably really would be cheap. For Gator, it was really expensive cause he was so big but for Luna it’s probably a hell of a lot cheaper than my Netflix and Dropbox. :oops:

Of course my parents will probably argue that she’s 9 years old and has never had heartworm or any other issue, our previous cat never had issues, Gator never had issues (my dad eventually stopped buying it I think cause of the cost and he’s “fine”/“healthy as a horse”), and is therefore not necessary, but I don’t want to be like that. I’d rather be safe than sorry. So I think I’m going to talk to the vet next time we go in.

Maybe specifically make an appointment soon to get her some.

She actually has to go in soon anyway for something else so maybe when I make that appointment I will ask about preventative.

Even you do it in the North Pole!? :eek:

Seems I should definitely get her on it then! :oops:

I honestly just really never thought of it much before because my parents have never really given it and we’ve never had any issues so it was never really on my mind. Or when it was, it was always about the dog, never even thought about Luna. :oops:

But that’s definitely gonna change. Don’t want that sweet little kitty dying cause of my ignorance :hit

I wish it was possible to just keep her inside but that will never happen as long as we’re still living with my parents. :rolleyes:

So honestly better just keep her safe.
It’s never a problem until it is. They can’t “sort of” get heartworms, either the worms are literally in their heart or they aren’t.
Preventative works by killing the tiny heartworm larvae that the mosquitos deposit into the bloodstream while sucking your dog’s blood. Once the larvae turn into adults, they grow in the blood vessels of the heart until it literally can’t pump blood anymore. Treatment is so rough because there is a real risk of the heart becoming clogged with dead worms as they are slowly shed from the body. Preventative can actually be toxic if the dog already has heartworms.
It might help to explain that to your parents. Maybe show them a picture of an infected heart.

Back
Top Bottom