➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

A few days ago my hubby and I had to assist one of my chickens that had an egg stuck and ended up busting inside of her. She is currently going through a molt and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) has continued to lay during it. She is a hybrid and is an egg laying work horse. Since that day, we have been upping her protein intake by cooking her an egg every and crushing a calcium tablet and mixing it in. We did that for a few days for just her alone but now I am just cooking up a bunch of eggs (because I have eggs, eggs and more eggs!) and feeding the whole flock (minus the calcium tablet). I am so happy because she laid her first egg since that episode and it was a nice strong one. So the extra stuff has definitely been helping her. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on her until this molt is done and I feel that she is back to "normal". She is the last one in the group to go through a molt and it is her first one. It seems to be taking forever!

we have been upping her protein intake by cooking her an egg every
Many, many people make this mistake. When feeding eggs, you are not increasing the protein intake. You are feeding them necessary proteins in the best form possible but eggs are only 12% protein. Don't mistake me, I am not trying to discourage feeding eggs, just don't think that you are giving them a higher protein intake.

How Much Protein in an Egg?

Many, many people make this mistake. When feeding eggs, you are not increasing the protein intake. You are feeding them necessary proteins in the best form possible but eggs are only 12% protein. Don't mistake me, I am not trying to discourage feeding eggs, just don't think that you are giving them a higher protein intake.

How Much Protein in an Egg?
It is in addition to their food and whatever they get while foraging. Not just eggs alone. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

ETA:
We have 3 feeders with their normal food. They free range all day long so they have access to it whenever they want. As well as forage all over their yard.

Thank you. 🥰 The lights arrived with no casualties (a true miracle).
All I'm waiting on is for the bleach I used to sanitized the main branch to come out. I've been soaking and rinsing it for days and it still stinks. Frustrating.

You are insane. Does the mini die of embarrassment when he's out with you?
Heck no he doesn't die of embarrassment... He thinks it's normal.

Thank you. 🥰 The lights arrived with no casualties (a true miracle).
All I'm waiting on is for the bleach I used to sanitized the main branch to come out. I've been soaking and rinsing it for days and it still stinks. Frustrating.

You are insane. Does the mini die of embarrassment when he's out with you?
Have you tried putting that branch out in the sun? It may take several days, but I think that will solve the smell problem.

It is in addition to their food and whatever they get while foraging. Not just eggs alone. Sorry that I wasn't clear.

ETA:
We have 3 feeders with their normal food. They free range all day long so they have access to it whenever they want. As well as forage all over their yard.
I agree with Bob... I would not be feeding her eggs daily.

Back
Top Bottom