➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Ok, so I am confused then. I read a lot of people feed eggs back to their chickens. If I should not do this, what would you recommend to feed instead to help her get through this molt and not get depleted of her nutrients to cause her problems?
Feed her the eggs.
I think I misread your post.
I didn't realize she wasn't eating well because of molt.

I'm just not a fan of feeding anything on a daily basis to chickens besides their balanced chicken feed.

Feed her the eggs.
I think I misread your post.
I didn't realize she wasn't eating well because of molt.

I'm just not a fan of feeding anything on a daily basis to chickens besides their balanced chicken feed.

Oh ok, Gotcha! It's only been a daily thing for less than a week so far. She's been molting for a couple weeks now but it's been a super slow one. I didn't start the extras until there started to be egg laying problems (a couple soft shell eggs and then the one that she couldn't pass and broke inside of her). That's when I started to get worried and felt that she needed a little extra boost. If they get eggs or veggies, anything extra, it is usually as a "treat" and not a regular occurrence. They have a big yard that they free range in all day long so normally I feel that is plenty. But I do spoil them every now and again lol!

Oh ok, Gotcha! It's only been a daily thing for less than a week so far. She's been molting for a couple weeks now but it's been a super slow one. I didn't start the extras until there started to be egg laying problems (a couple soft shell eggs and then the one that she couldn't pass and broke inside of her). That's when I started to get worried and felt that she needed a little extra boost. If they get eggs or veggies, anything extra, it is usually as a "treat" and not a regular occurrence. They have a big yard that they free range in all day long so normally I feel that is plenty. But I do spoil them every now and again lol!
I bet she would like some sardines or tuna fish too.

You know, I tried to give my ducks some tuna fish once. They turned their bills up at it lol. Chickens did like it tho. I don't have any at the moment except the flavored kind that is in the pouches. Maybe I will go put the fish trap in the creek and try to catch some minnows or whatever they are that is in there. They love those!

Why don't you suggest running down to the bayou and cast netting some mullet and those little silver fish whose name I don't recall? Fresh is better. Non GMO and without preservatives and processing.

Since I've been feeding the hens the crawfish heads and shells, the eggs are glowing orange. I saw where they were eating one of the crawfish that were running around in the yard. Which reminds me, we had a bright blue one dead in the yard. Somebody's aquarium pet they "freed"? And another invasive species is spread. SMH

Mealworms are a good, high protein treat. You can also give her meat scraps (well done) or even bones to pick. All meat/eggs need to be well-cooked. I give my birds the remnants from making bone broth. I don't know what they do with the bones, but mostly they just seem to disappear. 🤷‍♀️

I didn't know that they could have meat. I always scramble the eggs to make sure they are cooked through well. I don't want anything wet or runny because I don't want to encourage egg eating. They get so excited when they see me coming with food. I have to be careful because they will turn in to kung fu chickens. Seriously, they will flying kick at the pan to try and get me to drop it. They are crazy! :gig

Why don't you suggest running down to the bayou and cast netting some mullet and those little silver fish whose name I don't recall? Fresh is better. Non GMO and without preservatives and processing.

Since I've been feeding the hens the crawfish heads and shells, the eggs are glowing orange. I saw where they were eating one of the crawfish that were running around in the yard. Which reminds me, we had a bright blue one dead in the yard. Somebody's aquarium pet they "freed"? And another invasive species is spread. SMH
I have a creek on my property that has little fishies in it. I don't know what kind they are but they are fresh.

Mealworms are a good, high protein treat. You can also give her meat scraps (well done) or even bones to pick. All meat/eggs need to be well-cooked. I give my birds the remnants from making bone broth. I don't know what they do with the bones, but mostly they just seem to disappear. 🤷‍♀️
The chickens will eat the smaller bones. I'll smash the big ones and they will eat the splinters. Good calcium supplements and crop grinders.

Back
Top Bottom