1/2 EE cross- What color eggs will I get?

CreativeCowgirl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 22, 2012
I have one EE rooster and a variety of hens (you can see the full list in my sig), some white egg layers, and some brown. I was wondering if I bred the EE rooster with my hens, what color eggs would the offspring produce? I have heard that an EE crossed with a white egg layer may produce a blue tinted egg layer. Is that true? I really want blue eggs, but my only EE is the rooster!

Does your EE roster have a straight or pea comb?

If he has a pea comb...mated with any of those hens..any resulting chicks with pea combs should result in tinted colored eggs

He has a pea comb!
celebrate.gif

Here are some pics if it helps!

The pullets bred from him should lay green or olive eggs, since pea comb most likely means he carried the blue egg gene.

The pullets with pea combs only...will lay colored eggs..there's only less than a 3% chance of a straight comb laying a colored egg..

Last edited:
I have pea combed 1/2 ee pullets (roo was pea combed, looked just like yours, hens were Red Stars. I have 3 of them, they lay pinkish colored eggs

I have pea combed 1/2 ee pullets (roo was pea combed, looked just like yours, hens were Red Stars. I have 3 of them, they lay pinkish colored eggs
the blue egg gene is tightly close a pea comb. not all pea combs.. say you have a Ameraucana and you breed him to a Brahma. they will all have pea combs, yet the blue egg gene (O) is only tightly close to the pea comb from the Ameraucana side.. say you cross these chicks to a single comb brown egg layer. all of the chicks will have pea combs, but only 50% of them will lay green eggs. the other will lay brown eggs

Thanks guys! I am hoping to hatch a bunch of his chicks in the spring and now I will know to keep the ones with pea combs since they are the most likely to have colored eggs! How many do you think will have pea combs vs. straight combs? (All my hens have straight combs.) Is it just random? Or is there a likely percentage?

Thanks guys! I am hoping to hatch a bunch of his chicks in the spring and now I will know to keep the ones with pea combs since they are the most likely to have colored eggs! How many do you think will have pea combs vs. straight combs? (All my hens have straight combs.) Is it just random? Or is there a likely percentage?

At best. 25% pea combed pullets... Lets say you had 10 chicks hatch. Statistically...50% will be Roos...then the other 50% will be. Pullets...of those 5 pullets. At best 2.5 or 25% will have pea combs ( because all moms have straight combs and dad has pea comb)... Soooo....it's not random its statistics;)

If you want 10 colored egg layers you need to hatch out 50 chicks to get the percentages to work in your favor;)

Back
Top Bottom