1 Chicken

Ashlelong

Hatching
Mar 27, 2016
I have 7 chickens that are about 3 years old and 1 that is a year old. The older chickens are not laying anymore so I am giving them away. I want to keep the one that is a year old. Will it be ok alone in the coop for a week or two until my new chickens are ready to join her?

Chickens are flock animals, taking away all the other chickens is sure to stress her out. It also makes her more vulnerable to predators.
Birds are prone to depression, which may also cause her to become ill. I'd wait until she has some new friends.

I agree with Ginger. Is there a reason for getting rid of the non-layers immediately? It would be far better to put it off until you can supply a new flock for this lone hen. Even then, the change and adjusting to new flock mates is likely to put her off her laying for a period.

Are you introducing POL pullets or baby chicks? That also makes a difference in the big picture.

Chicken society isn't as simple as you may think. It's sort of like a beehive where the parts constitute a whole. When you upset the whole by introducing change of any kind, it affects all the parts.

Back
Top Bottom