1 day old chick legs turned out and bone showing. Please help!!

Silked

Chirping
Nov 7, 2021
Some silkies hatched yesterday and one more hatched today. He seemed to be doing fine just weaker than the others when he first hatched. Then we realized the other chicks were picking at him to the point of dragging him. We put the chicks in a brooder and put this one back in the incubator. We were wrapping his legs that wanted to be at his sides with his feet basically at his ears. While wrapping it looks like his bones are coming through!! I’m so worried and don’t know if I’m helping or making things worse. He’s so weak please help!
IMG_8431.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8432.jpeg
    IMG_8432.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8433.jpeg
    IMG_8433.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8431.jpeg
    IMG_8431.jpeg
    460.9 KB · Views: 13
Oh no, I am so sorry. That does look like cartilage or bone. I hate to ask, but is a vet an option? If not, I think it might be best to euthanize it.
Thank you for your response. I don’t think a vet is an option right now. Maybe tomorrow but right now it’s night time. That’s what I was thinking it was bone. No chance of it healing? I feel sick and so sad. I don’t want it to suffer but also don’t think I can euthanize. I feel terrible I didn’t notice sooner.

How do people euthanize chicks? I really don’t think I can do it but guess I should at least ask how.

How do people euthanize chicks? I really don’t think I can do it but guess I should at least ask how.
I’m sorry your poor chick is going through this, but that’s definitely not going to heal. That’s exposed bone on both sides for sure. Some just aren’t meant to be in this world.

I’ve euthanized chicks using very sharp scissors, just a quick snip through the back of the neck and it’s over. It might sound brutal but it’s the fastest way IMO, no goofing around with gas or letting them linger, etc. The first time I had to do it, I cried in the shower for 20 minutes lol …and nowadays I raise half of my birds for meat and process them myself…go figure.

I’m sorry your poor chick is going through this, but that’s definitely not going to heal. That’s exposed bone on both sides for sure. Some just aren’t meant to be in this world.

I’ve euthanized chicks using very sharp scissors, just a quick snip through the back of the neck and it’s over. It might sound brutal but it’s the fastest way IMO, no goofing around with gas or letting them linger, etc. The first time I had to do it, I cried in the shower for 20 minutes lol …and nowadays I raise half of my birds for meat and process them myself…go figure.
Thank you for the help. That does sound brutal but I totally get where you’re coming from about it being quick. I’m hoping he just naturally goes to sleep soon and doesn’t wake up. But if that doesn’t happen I don’t want him suffering all night. Ugh this is so hard!!

I'm sorry about your chick, I agree, putting her down is probably the best option.

For a chick this small, a sharp pair of scissors is quick. The article below may be helpful to you, it's tastefully done and may help you through this.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-for-squeamish-people-slightly-graphic.74734/
We did end up euthanizing the chick. So very hard. But helpful to know that several agreed that is what should be done. Thank you.

I wonder if it was a genetic thing that couldn’t have been prevented or if it was something I did while incubating. Or if I left her with the other chicks for too long picking on her. This was my 2nd time incubating eggs. They were shipped. I had a 50 percent hatch rate and then this happen. The first time was local eggs with 100 percent hatch rate and no issues. I’m not sure I’ll want to do it again after this.

We did end up euthanizing the chick. So very hard. But helpful to know that several agreed that is what should be done. Thank you.

I wonder if it was a genetic thing that couldn’t have been prevented or if it was something I did while incubating. Or if I left her with the other chicks for too long picking on her. This was my 2nd time incubating eggs. They were shipped. I had a 50 percent hatch rate and then this happen. The first time was local eggs with 100 percent hatch rate and no issues. I’m not sure I’ll want to do it again after this.
:hugs

Sorry about the chick.

Hatching isn't for everyone, but you may change your mind as time goes by. Unfortunately, sometimes things do go wrong and it can be very sad.

Back
Top Bottom