1 duck died - supposed botulism/toxin poisoning - reevaluating my duck care

whiteybird

Songster
Feb 16, 2013
Sarasota, FL
Hi everyone,

Second post, this time about my ducks, not chickens...the latter seem to be doing well these days...

I have read a lot of the posts on ducks, toxins, and their symptoms on here, but felt I wanted to start a new thread to see your reaction to my duck caretaking abilities. I am questioning them now that one of my first three ducks died this morning as I was petting it.

We got three pekin ducks in early April when they were 1-2 days old. Pretty sure we got one female (makes the quiet quacking sound) and two boys (more like a loud obnoxious honking noise). They are not quite 3 months old now.

We built a coop for our chickens made almost completely out of cedar that's stained a cedar (orange) color. The coop 'floor' is about 3.5 feet off the ground and made of wire racks so their poop falls through to the ground and can be scooped out for compost (we have a 12" thick layer of pine shavings/diatomaceous earth in the bottom). When we moved the ducks outside from the garage we ended up keeping them in the bottom of the coop (under the wire rack floor) because they couldn't/didn't like walking on the racks. Not to mention one of our chickens (the smallest one, of course) picks on the ducks so separating them felt like a good idea.

We bought a plastic kiddie pool for the ducks from Walmart and have been filling it with well water from the shallow pump we installed a year or so ago. the water isnt totally clear but it isn't muddy per se, just tinted brownish because it isnt really filtered. I didn't see a problem with this originally.

The chickens won't allow us to feed the ducks different food from themselves, so we ended up mixing the last of our baby duck food with the layena food. We have a food container from TSC in the run hanging from a post about 8" off the ground. Both chickens and ducks eat from it.

The chickens have a water bucket with nipples on the bottom to drink from; I have seen the ducks drinking from this as well when the one chicken bullies them away from their designated water pan (stainless steel 1/3 pan from a restaurant supply store). They also drink the water in their kiddie pool.

Point being, when I let the birds out yesterday morning I thought I noticed one of the boy ducks limping a little. I watched it for a minute or so but when I approached them all three walked away from me as usual so I didn't think it was serious. We were gone all day yesterday and didn't get back til around dusk. When I went to herd the ducks into the bottom of the coop the limping one got to the pine shavings but stopped as if he didnt have the strength to walk on such a spongy/irregular/non-flat surface. He was trying to use his wings to move. After doing some research we dumped the pool and i got them fresh water, which they drank a lot of. The sick duck could take a couple steps but would immediately sit down.

When I got up in the morning it couldn't walk at all...I put him in a large cardboard box with a towel and brought him inside, gave him a water bowl and a food bowl. He shook his head as if choking on the food but drank the water ok. Within 3-4 hours he couldn't hold his head up, and about a half hour later, he died.

Sounds a lot like botulism to me...he pooped a greenish cloudy watery mess last night once or twice. Choked on some dried mealworms last night too. As if he was losing control of his muscles.

Is it dumb to have them under the chickens in the coop? I figure they ate so much of their own poop as ducklings, they are bound to still eat poop whether it is in the coop or on the ground in the run.

I didn't think botulism and the like could grow so fast...it's been crazy hot and humid here (sarasota, fl); a week ago it rained almost every day so the run was kind of muddy and there was a stint where we had a ton of flies.

He deteriorated so rapidly...

What do I do? Am I an idiot for caring for them the way I am? Should I give the other two some active charcoal, and if so, where do I get it? How can I give them electrolytes, can it be from a bottle of smart water? I feel like gatorade has too much unnatural crud in it to give the birds (what does that say about what we put in our own bodies?)

Any advice would be great...thanks all.

Sarah

Hi everyone,

Second post, this time about my ducks, not chickens...the latter seem to be doing well these days...

I have read a lot of the posts on ducks, toxins, and their symptoms on here, but felt I wanted to start a new thread to see your reaction to my duck caretaking abilities. I am questioning them now that one of my first three ducks died this morning as I was petting it.

We got three pekin ducks in early April when they were 1-2 days old. Pretty sure we got one female (makes the quiet quacking sound) and two boys (more like a loud obnoxious honking noise). They are not quite 3 months old now.

We built a coop for our chickens made almost completely out of cedar that's stained a cedar (orange) color. The coop 'floor' is about 3.5 feet off the ground and made of wire racks so their poop falls through to the ground and can be scooped out for compost (we have a 12" thick layer of pine shavings/diatomaceous earth in the bottom). When we moved the ducks outside from the garage we ended up keeping them in the bottom of the coop (under the wire rack floor) because they couldn't/didn't like walking on the racks. Not to mention one of our chickens (the smallest one, of course) picks on the ducks so separating them felt like a good idea.

We bought a plastic kiddie pool for the ducks from Walmart and have been filling it with well water from the shallow pump we installed a year or so ago. the water isnt totally clear but it isn't muddy per se, just tinted brownish because it isnt really filtered. I didn't see a problem with this originally.

The chickens won't allow us to feed the ducks different food from themselves, so we ended up mixing the last of our baby duck food with the layena food. We have a food container from TSC in the run hanging from a post about 8" off the ground. Both chickens and ducks eat from it.

The chickens have a water bucket with nipples on the bottom to drink from; I have seen the ducks drinking from this as well when the one chicken bullies them away from their designated water pan (stainless steel 1/3 pan from a restaurant supply store). They also drink the water in their kiddie pool.

Point being, when I let the birds out yesterday morning I thought I noticed one of the boy ducks limping a little. I watched it for a minute or so but when I approached them all three walked away from me as usual so I didn't think it was serious. We were gone all day yesterday and didn't get back til around dusk. When I went to herd the ducks into the bottom of the coop the limping one got to the pine shavings but stopped as if he didnt have the strength to walk on such a spongy/irregular/non-flat surface. He was trying to use his wings to move. After doing some research we dumped the pool and i got them fresh water, which they drank a lot of. The sick duck could take a couple steps but would immediately sit down.

When I got up in the morning it couldn't walk at all...I put him in a large cardboard box with a towel and brought him inside, gave him a water bowl and a food bowl. He shook his head as if choking on the food but drank the water ok. Within 3-4 hours he couldn't hold his head up, and about a half hour later, he died.

Sounds a lot like botulism to me...he pooped a greenish cloudy watery mess last night once or twice. Choked on some dried mealworms last night too. As if he was losing control of his muscles.

Is it dumb to have them under the chickens in the coop? I figure they ate so much of their own poop as ducklings, they are bound to still eat poop whether it is in the coop or on the ground in the run.

I didn't think botulism and the like could grow so fast...it's been crazy hot and humid here (sarasota, fl); a week ago it rained almost every day so the run was kind of muddy and there was a stint where we had a ton of flies.

He deteriorated so rapidly...

What do I do? Am I an idiot for caring for them the way I am? Should I give the other two some active charcoal, and if so, where do I get it? How can I give them electrolytes, can it be from a bottle of smart water? I feel like gatorade has too much unnatural crud in it to give the birds (what does that say about what we put in our own bodies?)

Any advice would be great...thanks all.

Sarah
I am very sorry to hear about your duck, it does sound like it could have been botulism, I really don't think I would house my ducks beneathe my chickens coop, sounds very nasty especially as hot as ya'll get in Fl.,working to keep the ground as clean and free of waste is an on going problem we all deal with but it can be managed. Food grade DE can be spread and raked into the soil in the areas they sleep in and there is probably other things too. Here is a link to removing toxins and it needs to be followed to the T, most use the molasses, but if you have the activated charcoal then by all means use it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213 I bought activated charcoal at Walmart where the antacids are located.

Last edited:
As Miss Lydia says do not put your ducks under the chicken coop...... Do you have any rotten vegetation around that the ducks can get into? The reason I ask is there is a fungus that we all breath in and birds do too. The way it sounds on how your duck died is very familiar to what happens with this disease. It shows no signs until the birds are stressed and just dies. It is called Aspergillosis.
Having them under the chicken coop is not the best for them either if there is rotten vegetation in this that could be a problem...
So sorry you lost your duck but we have to be careful of what we do and keep them as clean as possible. Yes, ducks can eat a lot of different things but this fungus virus can cause death as I said.

thanks to both of you for responding...I didn't think putting them under there would be that big of a deal, especially after the first week and they werent getting pooped on or anything. That area has at least 12" of pine shavings with a lot of diatomaceous earth mixed in, so I thought that would help prevent pests from living in there.

we have a compost pile in the same area as the run (which is more like 1/3 of our yard with a welded wire/post fence around it to keep birds contained) that usually is enclosed with a small area for the chickens to go in and eat the veg. The chickens looove the veggie scraps my bf brings home from work (he's a chef). A week or two ago we took the front wall of the compost area off so we could use the rich soil that was in there, but we also havent been adding any veg for that time either, so although the ducks could walk around the compost area it was mostly dirt.

There are a couple plants in there too...a small palmetto, a small norfolk island pine, air potato vines growing on the chain link fence that runs the length of our property (and along the run). I've seen them try to eat the air potato but lost interest...

wait...really? i guess that makes sense...our 'lady' is bigger than the 'boy'...interesting. i came across the voice difference once online but never went back to check which was which

It could of been the layena food too. If they are young they dont need all the extra calcium in that food. It builds up in their joints. They start to not be able to walk and die. A friend of mine did that with young chicks and thwy died from having layerfood instead of grower or starter. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom